Casting news-rumors

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Vynera

Post by Vynera »

I have to agree with tampa on this one. I was never a fan of Matt Damon and after reading the things he said about Bond has made me dislike him even more. He just seems to be a cocky, stuck up type of guy who thinks his sh** doesn't stink. Shame on him. I actually find MD way overrated. And Daniel has been nothing but professional and it's a shame if they did gave Daniel's intended role to MD. This is pure speculation on my part. I don't think they did that but I guess we'll find out soon enough.
"A woman looks beautiful when she's true to herself. Her inner beauty shines through. It's like being in love--it shows. You have a natural glow, you can't help but beam--that's beautiful."
-Rachel Weisz
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Caramel, I only meant the $$$ thing about Bond. I don't blame him either. Way too much to turn down, and he's so f-ing amazing at it. I think we all, including him, would like to see him in a fabulous non-Bond role that's all acting and no action (except in the bedroom.)
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

sf2la wrote:Caramel, I only meant the $$$ thing about Bond. I don't blame him either. Way too much to turn down, and he's so f-ing amazing at it. I think we all, including him, would like to see him in a fabulous non-Bond role that's all acting and no action (except in the bedroom.)
He wouldn't have pulled out of MM because of Bond. MM finishes in June, Bond won't start until end of the year or there abouts.
caramel

Post by caramel »

tampa wrote:
caramel wrote:
tampa wrote: I was ticked when he hired Matt D. who has been a total s.... in many interviews over the last 5-6 years trashing Bond and showing Daniel disrespect in his comments. It was petty and I think motivated by jealousy . I think DC's screen time and role would have been limited as I'd bet Clooney and Damon will get the juicy roles. tampa
Well as usual I will disagree with you ;)

Show me one link where MD has "trashed" Bond and disrespected Daniel for the past 5 to 6 years. No? Ok then.

If you google MD and JB, you will get lots of refs to Damon's bitching about Bond.

Damon: ''They could never make a James Bond movie like any of the Bourne films,'' Damon says scornfully. "Because Bond is an imperialist, misogynist sociopath who goes around bedding women and swilling martinis and killing people. He's repulsive." link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/2 ... 61036.html

"Where James Bond and Daniel Craig (right) are concerned, Matt Damon has moved passed "chip on his shoulder" status and streaked right to "bug up his backside" alert. Damon continues to brand Bond "repulsive" in multiple published reports..." from link: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/02/matt-damon-stil/

More...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -says.html

What I find so unprofessional about Damon's bitching, is that he is being unprofessional towards DC in the bargain, and most importantly, he is describing a pre-DC Bond but he is not making that distinction These are all Damon interviews years after DC took over. What some writers noted was they are like both fictional characters so his attacks are dumb and I kind of think due to jealousy due to DC's great critical reception for Bond. Damon must be just thrilled with our billion dollar Bond given his last film totally tanked. :)

I kind of wonder if DC withdrew because he didn't want to put with Damon's crap. And I kind of don't think Damon replaced DC because DC was likely playing an Engish character and Damon is playing an Amercan. But I have no clue on that. But I have read multiple Damon interviews with his nasty Bond comments. Turned me off him big time. t.
Thanks for your very elaborate response and all the dirt on Matt.

I still think he is a decent enough guy who can be more easy going in interviews and "cocky" compared to Daniel. They have diff personalities and I will not hold it against him unless he goes on record being bitchy about Daniel.
If Daniel had been offended he wouldn't have praised Bourne films.

From that other cast member's response I take it that Matt replaced Daniel.

Daniel is a consummate professional and I believe he can put up with some actors, even a "jealous", "arrogant" Matt , a few weeks to get the job done. Don't you?

He probably had a verbal agreement to do TMM and dropped out when the play was offered to them and Matt came on board. End of.

Please go ahead and disagree Tampa :D
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
sf2la wrote:Caramel, I only meant the $$$ thing about Bond. I don't blame him either. Way too much to turn down, and he's so f-ing amazing at it. I think we all, including him, would like to see him in a fabulous non-Bond role that's all acting and no action (except in the bedroom.)
He wouldn't have pulled out of MM because of Bond. MM finishes in June, Bond won't start until end of the year or there abouts.
Right. Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant I think he signed on for two ore Bond movies because of the money. That kind of money is just too intoxicating, and it allows him to do other things that don't pay as much - like not working so much and being in a play. We know he's said he doesn't need all that money, but people don't turn it down, and with a family and 'people', who knows what kind of lifestyle he and Rachel have ahead of them.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

sf2la wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:
Right. Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant I think he signed on for two ore Bond movies because of the money. That kind of money is just too intoxicating, and it allows him to do other things that don't pay as much - like not working so much and being in a play. We know he's said he doesn't need all that money, but people don't turn it down, and with a family and 'people', who knows what kind of lifestyle he and Rachel have ahead of them.
Who know what the reason is, but I don't think its because of the play either. He would still have a couple of months to rehearse. Oh well. I guess we'll never know.
:wink:
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

The Bond bashing is interesting, but I've NEVER liked Damon. This is so superficial and shallow, but when they showed his nose profile in 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' - insert vomiting smiley here. It goes back to that Clooney, Pitt, Affleck, and yuck-Damon campaign for People's Sexiest Man of the Year. Those other guys, who had already won, were publicly campaigning that it should be given to Damon, their Rat Pack bro, when clearly he is anything BUT. He got it. So stupid. How he is labeled as a hunk is beyond my wildest imagination. I dont put any stock at all in that 'win'; it was just that People mag caved to Clooney and club. Affleck has certainly matured, I now find Clooney very likeable, but Damon... Still very much an ICK. I'll be at that movie though. It will be amazing.

Very lovely for Daniel that he has so many choices. no doubt he's presented with a lot of scripts that we don't know about. We've discussed how Harvey Weinstin respects him. And Harv's a hit machine.
Tuulia

Post by Tuulia »

sf2la wrote: I meant I think he signed on for two ore Bond movies because of the money. That kind of money is just too intoxicating, and it allows him to do other things that don't pay as much - like not working so much and being in a play. We know he's said he doesn't need all that money, but people don't turn it down, and with a family and 'people', who knows what kind of lifestyle he and Rachel have ahead of them.
I can't see how the money would be that "intoxicating" for him. He's already a millionaire many times over, and so surely doesn't need the money enough to sign on for more Bond movies if he didn't like the gig. But he does, A lot. Seems to love it actually. So I assume he signed on for more Bond movies for the simple reason that he has a great time doing them. There was hardly any good reason not to sign on for more of something he loves doing. Not that being paid further millions for it is a drag, but he wouldn't waste years of hard work on it for money. It's not waste since he enjoys it, but it would be if he didn't - regardless of the money.
tampa

Post by tampa »

sf2la wrote:The Bond bashing is interesting, but I've NEVER liked Damon. This is so superficial and shallow, but when they showed his nose profile in 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' - insert vomiting smiley here. It goes back to that Clooney, Pitt, Affleck, and yuck-Damon campaign for People's Sexiest Man of the Year. Those other guys, who had already won, were publicly campaigning that it should be given to Damon, their Rat Pack bro, when clearly he is anything BUT. He got it. So stupid. How he is labeled as a hunk is beyond my wildest imagination. I dont put any stock at all in that 'win'; it was just that People mag caved to Clooney and club. Affleck has certainly matured, I now find Clooney very likeable, but Damon... Still very much an ICK. I'll be at that movie though. It will be amazing.

Very lovely for Daniel that he has so many choices. no doubt he's presented with a lot of scripts that we don't know about. We've discussed how Harvey Weinstin respects him. And Harv's a hit machine.
:stick_iagree:

There is a new Weinstein producing film with the guy who directed Silver Linings directing. I think it is called something like "To the ends of the earth" and it sounds like a terrific dramatic role for a major actor. Jennifer Lawrence is the female lead. Sounds kinky weird, but she plays his step daughter and they eventually marry. The character is a big oil barron, who loses everything when they marry. It's is a true story. It's not the upcoming one that a bunch of actors, including JL, are doing, but one which will likely not film till next year. I fear it will conflict with Bond. That's my problem with Bond, as someone posted above, it just takes so much of his time. But I guess it is a good problem to have, or as DC would say, a "high class" problem to have.

Re DC's attitude toward's Damons Bond disses, I know I read a few responses in interviews by DC which I couldn't find in a google, where he sounded ticked, and said he wasn't going to get into a "pissing contest" with Damon.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Tuulia, Of course he enjoys them, but would he have returned without that big pay increase? Would he have worked for what he got paid in CR and QoS? I say 'No.' he would have completed his 3-film contract and gone onto other things. Just my opinion.
tampa

Post by tampa »

sf2la wrote:Of course he enjoys them, but would he have returned without that big pay increase? Would he have worked for what he got paid in CR and QoS? I say 'No.' he would have completed his 3-film contract and gone onto other things. Just my opinion.
Agree for sure. It is such a crazy business and careers can turn on a dime Who could possibly turn down the huge pay days he has so totally finally earned for Bond after struggling in the business for so long. I don't think he made much for the first two Bonds, and I would question how decent or fair his Skyfall salary or bonuses are compared to the gigantic $$$ other stars get in big hits (and even bombs). EON has a well earned rep for being very stingy with Bond salaries which apparently is one of the reasons why Connery and Broznan are so angry with EON. So I could never blame DC for taking the big money while he still can. I just wish he got more credit for his acting in Bond.
caramel

Post by caramel »

tampa wrote:
sf2la wrote:The Bond bashing is interesting, but I've NEVER liked Damon. This is so superficial and shallow, but when they showed his nose profile in 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' - insert vomiting smiley here. It goes back to that Clooney, Pitt, Affleck, and yuck-Damon campaign for People's Sexiest Man of the Year. Those other guys, who had already won, were publicly campaigning that it should be given to Damon, their Rat Pack bro, when clearly he is anything BUT. He got it. So stupid. How he is labeled as a hunk is beyond my wildest imagination. I dont put any stock at all in that 'win'; it was just that People mag caved to Clooney and club. Affleck has certainly matured, I now find Clooney very likeable, but Damon... Still very much an ICK. I'll be at that movie though. It will be amazing.

There is a new Weinstein producing film with the guy who directed Silver Linings directing. I think it is called something like "To the ends of the earth" and it sounds like a terrific dramatic role for a major actor. Jennifer Lawrence is the female lead. Sounds kinky weird, but she plays his step daughter and they eventually marry. The character is a big oil barron, who loses everything when they marry. It's is a true story. It's not the upcoming one that a bunch of actors, including JL, are doing, but one which will likely not film till next year. I fear it will conflict with Bond. That's my problem with Bond, as someone posted above, it just takes so much of his time. But I guess it is a good problem to have, or as DC would say, a "high class" problem to have.

Re DC's attitude toward's Damons Bond disses, I know I read a few responses in interviews by DC which I couldn't find in a google, where he sounded ticked, and said he wasn't going to get into a "pissing contest" with Damon.
Tampa, Funnily enough I did think of Daniel when I read about The Ends of the Earth by Weistein directed by David O'Russel.
But it is a Texas guy role in his 50s, I think. I think Daniel can pull off a very fit guy in his 50s ;) but can he do a convincing Texas accent? His American is iffy.
David is a sleaze bag and Harvey is a bigger one. But that's HW and if Daniel is believed to be able to work with these guys he can do it with Matt too.

Anyways I am not defending Matt here cuz I enjoyed some of his movies.
My gripe is this - why throw him under the bus like this when we have NO idea what made Daniel drop from this movie? It comes across as very mean and unfair.
Daniel is friends with George and I believe Daniel had a legit reason to not do this and talked to George and stepped out.
George is friends with Matt. M is probably just a phone call away and was able to come on board. How is that a problem?

Who cares what Matt looks like and what he may have said in the past?
caramel

Post by caramel »

sf2la wrote:Tuulia, Of course he enjoys them, but would he have returned without that big pay increase? Would he have worked for what he got paid in CR and QoS? I say 'No.' he would have completed his 3-film contract and gone onto other things. Just my opinion.

I agree. The Rolling Stones article quotes him saying how desperately he was trying to get out.
The producers convinced him into taking more and obviously promised him enough and made it impossible for him to refuse.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Carmel, I, too, think that DC dropped out and then GC asked MD to step in. The timing of the reports and the new responses certainly suggest it. I also doubt that DC or MD would drop out of a movie if the other joined - at least not with their common and enormously popular and successful friend, GC, at the helm. Heck, the three appeared on the cover of Vanity Fair together.

I do think that DC holds grudges though. Letterman is an obvious one. Letterman deserves to be crossed off DC's list (and now RW's :lol: )

MD's looks don't matter. It's just that I think he thinks he's hot, and yuck - he's anything but, IMO. I've disliked him as a celebrity (not actor) since the very beginning - way before I knew DC existed.

That Weinstein movie sounds great!
tampa

Post by tampa »

caramel wrote:
tampa wrote:

Tampa, Funnily enough I did think of Daniel when I read about The Ends of the Earth by Weistein directed by David O'Russel.
But it is a Texas guy role in his 50s, I think. I think Daniel can pull off a very fit guy in his 50s ;) but can he do a convincing Texas accent? His American is iffy.
David is a sleaze bag and Harvey is a bigger one. But that's HW and if Daniel is believed to be able to work with these guys he can do it with Matt too.

Anyways I am not defending Matt here cuz I enjoyed some of his movies.
My gripe is this - why throw him under the bus like this when we have NO idea what made Daniel drop from this movie? It comes across as very mean and unfair.
Daniel is friends with George and I believe Daniel had a legit reason to not do this and talked to George and stepped out.
George is friends with Matt. M is probably just a phone call away and was able to come on board. How is that a problem?

Who cares what Matt looks like and what he may have said in the past?
No beef with Matts looks. DC gets plenty of grief in that area too. It just bugged me the way he called Bond repulsive. To me that was mean and unfair. Actors normally don't diss the competitions work at that level. DC works like a dog, and his work deserves respect from his fellow A listers. If they can't say something positive, they just shouldn't bring it up in many interviews like MD did. Just not right. And yes, I'm sure DC could put up with anyone if there was a film he really wanted to do. There must be some major reason unrelated to Matt for his withdrawal. I'm hoping that there is a major role he is about to announce that he will fit in before the play so we can get a new film from him soon before Bond which will be way off. Someone posted above that he might not have even been signed for the MM role, that his name was just thrown out there. That's possible too.