DH reviews (spoiler alert)

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

All what Dunda said plus i was really into the story, sitting on the edge of the couch :lol: having goose bumps and suffered with the man. It surely didn't deserve the bad critics, it was a good enough p thriller, even if it could have been better. I am sure, they planned for it to be something else, but still...I will watch it several times over the weeks, because I liked the acting and the suspense and the couple together.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Would like to add, that IMO, they DID spoil the film with the major twist. The rest was just a crime thriller about who did it.

Also, that last take of him walking the streets to me showed, how much better he looks with short hair. It was Daniel, how he would look in normal life and I liked it so much better, even though he did look great in the happy scenes.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Here's another review of Dream House: http://www.joblo.com/arrow/reviews.php?id=1462

The reviewer outlines some of the problems that occurred in the film's production.

See below for an extract from the review:

'Dream House started promisingly enough and kept me in its grasp throughout, so that's something. Not due to its derivative/aimless narrative though. Twist vomited out in the trailer or not, the film's main reveal was see through 20 minutes in. So yes, I kept waiting for the movie to catch up with me (didn't help that we saw the same turn in another flick in 2010 ). If it wasn't Sheridan's low key yet competent directing (loved his use of reflections here), the striking snowy setting/production designs or the polished cinematography (by Caleb Deschanel) keeping me in the game, it was the subdued score and the brilliant performances. Naomi Watts is always welcomed (even in a nothing role like the one she had here) and the little girls in the movie were affable but this was Daniel Craig's and Rachel Weisz's show! Their chemistry here was dazzling (no surprise, they fell in love on the set and got married after the shoot) and without them giving it their all and setting the screen ablaze, I would have tuned out very early on. Craig had moments here that were fairly heart wrenching, I felt for the lad while Weisz, much like in THE FOUNTAIN once again made me feel for and fall in love with her. What a woman!'
Last edited by cassandra on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

^ I just watched it again (4th time I think - gotta get those BO numbers up. I already added an A+ to my Yahoo User score to try to offset the critics'. I made a point to focus on Rachel's acting because of her rave reviews. I have to agree that she did a great job; it's just that I'm not a fan of her American accented voice. Critically, I think he movie became a bit corny when they tried to wrap everything up at the end. It was rushed. The very end is 100% Mikael. Very handsome. Nine people in the theater. One man alone (probably there for RW), two in total. If there was dialogue improvising allowed, it was DC and RW on screen, not Will and Libby. Knowing what we know, there is no possible way they weren't lovers while filming (but I don't think anyone would deny this.)

They showed the Tattoo trailer. That movie is going to be a huge hit.
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

RW is pretty but I don't think guys go to see her .
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Laredo wrote:RW is pretty but I don't think guys go to see her .
Me neither - at least going by the views of the men in my circle of family and friends.

When she was the hot topic of discussion earlier this year, they all said "Who?", followed by the "Oh her......the woman out of The Mummy".

The guys I know would willingly tell me that I'm talking a load of hogwash if they do not agree with me, and so it wasn't a case of them just agreeing with me (for a quiet life) simply because I don't like her.

I see her fan base as being mostly female.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Laredo wrote:RW is pretty but I don't think guys go to see her .

Many of my male friends went to see the Mummy just for RW and didin't bother to watch the last one.

I was teased a lot when the news were out Daniel hooking up with her and finally marrying her.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Intersting view of the movie :wink: from a poster over at IMDB
That is exactly what I thought. The movie was all just his novel after a certain point and picked back up with his real life at the end by showing his best seller. Many of the characters shown at the office(his last day as editor in beginning) were shown as mental patients and other recurring rolls through out the novel. He is then given a ride home by his real estate agent and the two discuss the bad weather(the murder supposedly happened on a horribly, snow filled night.) Then he reminds her that he lives on a the left side of the street not the right(may have been vice versa, I don't remember the exact.) That could have been what sparked his ideal of having a hitman that went to the wrong house. Also, towards the end, in flashback scenes from the night of the murder his wife was out talking on her cell phone which is exactly what was going on when he arrived home from his last day to begin his novel. So, yes I agree and I was definitely in the same frame of my mind. Ha and yes I think if you think of movie from this angle it adds a lot more credibility and creativity because essentially the twist was the audience was watching his novel but believed they were watching his real life. The ending was open ended. I take the "it was all his novel route" because I don't like to think someone could have such a horrible experience of losing their entire family and then monopolize from it by writing a book. Granted that does happen..
Last edited by Dunda on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
calypso

Post by calypso »

ok so i finally go to see dh , second last day for it to be shown, my friend turn up to take me, i was so excited. i felt like queen. :happyrunning:

ok so i not good at reviews but i sob with the tears after seeing it. it not thriller it ultimate love story about one person who seek truth and peace about something that happen and wanted to make it right for him and his family.

libby also wanted peter to be cleared so she i think went into peters mind too.
scene where he in mental hopsital and will relaize he peter was in my mind piece of geniius. it go to his face then pull back to see slicked back hair, then it was peter...daniels acting was magnificent, flashback to what we all know what he is, emotive, and raw.
how peter got his name 'will' was very inventive.

his journey back into his memory, visiting hosue with libby and children was heartbreaken when you realize they not alive, i cried from halfway through movie.

kissing scene that i used for avatar not in there, maybe they cut it out not wanting epmhasis too much on them, but peter fought so hard to start telling himself they were dead. you coudl see he forcing himself to do.
also i figure it out as libby and kids never leave hosue.

rachel played part bueatufully and you could see chemistry, when they in bed bed sheet pulled down so far you can see happy trail and any further pickle would be seen. in my mind, no woman with daniel would stand chance agaisnt rachel, she is like siren, calling shipwrecked sailors to their fate yes?

naomi watts charcter was boring, i can see why they cut her part, my friend say she like limp peice of tissue.

this story is true love story not thriller, and when he finally comes to terms and says goodbye to libby and children, myself and friend sob, thank gods there only one other in cinema at front.
how many of us would want to get chance to kiss hands of people and hug them , but time and circumstance take them away too soon when we are not with them. and to hope that are loved ones we lost are with us always.

i hope i not give away too much, i not say what twist is at end but it is surprise.

daniel look beautuful but one scene where he walk across street ins treetlight with elather jacket on, he walk with shoulders, i had to giggle, when you get to see it you will too, it too much. :lol:

he had shirt of or tight shirt on most of time and when he look at rachel you could see love in eyes. the little girls were so sweet too. his accent was so english, especially when he wanted tea, lavender tea and when he said 'Oi!" to stranger.

many things remain unanswered for me but i overlook that

anwway i still sad over film, why it go bad reviews i not know as message was profound and moving. it now one of my favorite daniel movies and i will cherish it when i get it on DVD.

if i reveal too much in film i sorry, i will erase post.

oh i forgot tos ay i say trailer for tatto , it contained some scnes not in trailer i think, daniel look so beautiful in that, it filmed so ciely , tone of colors is so good. it will be a huge film no doubt in my mind yes?
ImageImage
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Oh, Luna, I am in my car, on the phone, at the post office and just read your review. I have tears in my eyes now too! What a beautiful, beautiful review. I have to go see it just once more now because of all the emotions you brought up. Even Daniel calls it a love story. It is. And their chemistry is so obvious. They were like a real-life couple very much in love. And Danel' acting was spot on. As good as all the indies he's done. Daniel fans are very privileged to witness he real life romance on the screen. Whether one likes RW or not, this was a window into his private life and expressions that we would otherwise not see. I agree, unless eiher of them had a solid relationship going into this, no way did Darren or Sats stand a chance. This relationship was unstoppable. It is so obvious.

I am SOOOOO happy that you got to see it, Luna. And yes, now we get to wait for the DVD :))))))
caramel

Post by caramel »

luna!! I absolutely loved reading your review! Yes I cried in many places too! Particularly the scene where they are sitting around the table the time when he has just realized his family is dead and it is all in his mind and then they slowly start materializing and Rach gets concerned that he has a fever - omg the heartbreak and loneliness in his eyes!! Yes it is a very emotional love story.
I am going back there tomorrow for my third time :P

You are absolutely right ! Rachel with Daniel is just magic , particularly in the bed romp scene. In addition to his happy trail, I also noticed her nightie would have climbed up way high on her thighs and I think all the important body parts were well aligned!!
The way he just flips her over and kisses her :thud:
HOT !! They are perfect together :D They worked so beautiful together in the emo scenes too.

DH here I come :happyrunning:
calypso

Post by calypso »

sf and caramel: si i still cry , my friend here and she cry too, we remeber those who have left us and thinking if only we have one more chance with them.
a chance to say goodbye is what i would wish for
one more hug from loved ones
one more stroke of my pets who are gone
this movie will forever stay with me

also peters fight to get back his 'sanity" was heartbreaking, is fine line between sane and insanty and he fought back, he had too, libby wanted him too
so many things happen to people all over world that effect them and we all fight back, we have too, we are all soldiers

i not open up on here much as i private person but when i lost some people in my life, i had to fight hard to not get bad, my heart still breaks but i know they want me to carry on, it easy to lsoe control, hard and brave thing is not to and to carry on yes?
only now i know i feel taht they are with me a little

why this movie not bigger because of this message i not know, all i know is, it makde my heart break, it make me feel my lost ones again a little, when something does that than i know it was worth it
Dunda wrote:Intersting view of the movie :wink: from a poster over at IMDB

The ending was open ended. I take the "it was all his novel route" because I don't like to think someone could have such a horrible experience of losing their entire family and then monopolize from it by writing a book. Granted that does happen..
[/quiote]

that interseting and clever points yes but as peter walk away at end after looking at his book Dream Hosue in store window, he had tear in his eyes, i think he was writing about it, i like to think of it was the catharsis for him, way of healing but it such a movie taht you take away your own message, for me it was profound grief, emptiness and longing
ImageImage
Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

This is a movie I want to see, so I try to avoid this thread.
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

caramel

Post by caramel »

cassandra wrote:Here's a good review of the film: http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2011/10/19/m ... eam-house/
This review was pretty spot on. I agreed with many aspects of it particularly how you need to watch it a few times to connect or
discover certain things. I know I caught onto somethings only in my second/third viewing!

If they had not given away the big twist in the trailer, I think people would have been pleasantly surprised viewing it in the movie and
it would have gotten better word of mouth for sure.

sf - I agree with you about Rach's accent and particularly the way she said "break" ;)
I need to mention how EXTREMELY sexy DC was when he kicked down the barricade on his front door :thud: God, he is such a natural!