DH reviews (spoiler alert)

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

calypso

Post by calypso »

i think i will be well enough to go tomrrow with my friend, i so excited.
ImageImage
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

calypso wrote:i think i will be well enough to go tomrrow with my friend, i so excited.
Congratulations! Enjoy :D
calypso

Post by calypso »

Cyanaurora wrote:
calypso wrote:i think i will be well enough to go tomrrow with my friend, i so excited.
it late here but i cannot sleep, i like little girl :roll: :lol:
i not get out much
ImageImage
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

calypso wrote:
Cyanaurora wrote:
i not get out much
Anticipation is such a joy, isn't it?
calypso

Post by calypso »

Cyanaurora wrote:
calypso wrote:
Cyanaurora wrote: Congratulations! Enjoy :D
i not get out much
Anticipation is such a joy, isn't it?
si i already put out clothes to wear, warm clothes and blanket for me. it like i go on expedition. :happyrunning:
ImageImage
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

Will you wear a miner's helmet like this so you can find your seat in the theater?

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

^ LOLOL!!

Oh, Luna, I can't wait to hear your report! The DVD will be fantastic, but there's something special about seeing those baby blues and biceps on the big screen :lol: . Have fun!
tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

sf2la wrote:^ LOLOL!!

Oh, Luna, I can't wait to hear your report! The DVD will be fantastic, but there's something special about seeing those baby blues and biceps on the big screen :lol: . Have fun!
I'm a little behind due to my little flu setback.
SF is right, seeing those blue eyes takes your breath away, I will watch this movie over and over and never tire of it.
I can't wait to hear your report, I wish we could all go with you.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

A positive review!

Sheridan delivers a striking mystery

Irish-born director Jim Sheridan has returned to the screen with his first film since 2009s heavy hitting psychological drama, “Brothers.”

I was thoroughly impressed with the effectiveness of that movie, so when I heard that Sheridan had penned Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz and Naomi Watts for his “Dream House,” I didn’t see any way this project could go wrong.

And yet, as I made my way out of the theater, I heard a handful of people saying, “Well, that wasn’t very scary. I expected more.” To the latter, I would have to agree. The trailers strongly imply that this is a horror movie.

The fact that it was released in the beginning of October doesn’t really help either. Yet, I think that many of this film’s critics came to the theater with certain expectations, and because of that, they couldn’t help but feel disappointed.

“Dream House” follows the life of Will Atenton (Craig), a big wig editor who takes a leap of faith, quitting his job to spend more time with his wife, Libby (Weisz), and their two daughters. He buys a quaint little house in what appears to be a quiet suburb and begins to concentrate on writing his first novel.
His life seems perfect, if only for a moment. Their perfect home has a shadow cast over it when the family becomes aware that there was another family murdered in their home five years earlier.
Ordinarily, I might give a spoiler alert here. However, the trailer reveals so much of the story that I don’t feel a disclaimer is necessary.

The more that Atenton digs into the history of the home’s previous residents, the more he finds that he is much closer to the situation than he could’ve ever imagined. In fact, he may even be responsible.

Within the first 15 minutes of “Dream House,” the story begins to feel a bit like a “who dun it” type of story. However, there are so few actual characters in the story that the possibilities are pretty limited. Despite that fact, the director still manages to keep the audience guessing right up to the bitter end.

One of the strongest qualities this movie has going for it is the element of mystery. There are many little elements to the story, like the police just blowing off Atenton’s family when they need help, that cause the viewer to wonder what really went on in that house.

I find it difficult to call this movie a Hollywood cliché, because I think the tendency with films of this type is to try to overcomplicate the plot beyond recognition. This movie kept things very simple. At no point did I feel confused or lost.

The story and the cinematography meshed very well together. The imagery right from the beginning of the film was very clean, and painted a picture of Atenton’s literal dream house.

At the same time, the camera work seemed very succinct, which helped to keep viewers engaged in the story.

Rightfully so, this movie is sure to be compared to dozens of other movies, like “Shutter Island,” “The Sixth Sense” and even “Ghost.” But even while this movie is clearly an act of fiction, there is a certain believability to the characters involved.

I’m sure that the great performances by Craig and Weisz contribute to that. Off-screen, the pair is married. I would imagine that made creating on-screen chemistry between the two much easier.

Nonetheless, Craig is extremely convincing in his role, but he looks like a natural in just about any acting job he’s been given.

Although most critics seem to disagree with me, I found “Dream House” to be a success.

Having seen Sheridan’s past work, I didn’t expect this to be a horror film, even after I watched the trailer. I guess I wasn’t sure what I expected; maybe that’s what allowed me to enjoy this movie. It didn’t try to do more than it was capable of and it was beautifully directed.

http://www.thenorthwindonline.com/?p=3862196
calypso

Post by calypso »

my friend cannot make it today, she promise tomorrow, so i wait, is all i can do. :(
ImageImage
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

calypso wrote:my friend cannot make it today, she promise tomorrow, so i wait, is all i can do. :(
Aww, that's a shame. But the wait will well be worth it. :wink:
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
calypso wrote:my friend cannot make it today, she promise tomorrow, so i wait, is all i can do. :(
Aww, that's a shame. But the wait will well be worth it. :wink:
Yes, it is a shame, but be glad, at least, that it's in the theaters for us. I'm sure you'll have a great time! X
caramel

Post by caramel »

linnycortinas Linett Cortinas
If you wanna watch a really good movie and in the process, bawl your eyes out, go watch #dreamhouse now!!!! And Daniel Craig is delish
3 hours ago
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Movie Reviews by Reel People: 'Dream House'

Oh boy, another suburban gothic horror movie. You know the one where the clean-cut American family moves to Suburbia USA to escape the pressures of the big bad city. Then, as quick as you can say Stephen King, they’re in a non-stop fun house with creaky doors, freaky storms and kooks for neighbors. Well, this isn’t that movie.
Sure, “Dream House” starts out that way, but morphs into something quite different and, if you allow yourself to go with the plot twists, becomes something quite interesting. Daniel Craig abandons his heroic reputation and successfully becomes an “everyman.” As NYC editor Will Atenton, he decides to leave it all behind for a quiet family life in the country.
With wife Libby, played by Craig’s real life wife, Academy Award winner Rachel Weisz, they move into a remote village in Connecticut (whose state motto is, “Massachusetts without the Class”) There, with two lovely daughters, Trish and Dee Dee, played by real life sisters Taylor and Claire Geare, Will hopes to write the great American novel.
Director Jim Sheridan (“My Left Foot”) and screenwriter David Loucka (“The Dream Team”) include the requisite haunted house clichés – snow storm, secret rooms, creepy man in shadows, neighbors lurking about and, of course, the spooky music. Fortunately, they minimize the “jack in the box” syndrome where objects pop out at the audience.
With tight shots to reduce the audience peripheral vision, the creep factor begins with disturbing nighttime noises in the dingy old basement. Goth dressed teeners are scared stupid but shock Will with news of a macabre family slaying in that very house. The local real estate agent must have forgotten to include that pesky full disclosure statement.
Knowing your house was the scene of a gruesome murder is difficult enough, but suddenly suspicious people seem to be lurking around every corner and every tree in the yard. The good neighbors sidestep each question and police offer no assistance whatsoever. Will tells Libby, “Maybe we should hire a priest or a witch doctor.”
As the story progresses, we learn less about more. Will investigates the horrific events and is befriended by Ann Patterson (Naomi Watts), the woman across the street. Ann knew the ill-fated family, but struggles with her own family situation. Against the wishes of the community and especially ex-husband, Jack, played by Marton Csokas, (“The Debt”), she and Will continue their pursuit that takes on supernatural dimensions.
Apparently, the killer is a very special blend of crazy. Worse yet, his next target may be the current residents of that home. Although Will plans to be ready, he is not handling the situation very well, especially as he discovers a startling revelation. Each plot twist changes the story from horror to thriller, but not quite an episode of “Ghost Whisperer.”
Christian Bale and Brad Pitt were considered for the role of Will, but it was fascinating to see Craig without his James Bond superpowers. And, by joining Rachel Weisz, the newlyweds got an opportunity to work with each other as on-screen husband and wife. This movie is not for everyone but will have a select loyal following. It rates only a medium creep factor, but is high on suspense and procedural problem-solving.

“Dream House” is 92 minutes and rated PG-13 for violence, terror, some sexuality and brief strong language. After creative disagreements, the studio wrestled control of the film from Director Jim Sheridan. Sheridan, Craig and Weisz became displeased with the final result. So, like the film’s story, sometimes you get and sometimes you get got.
Filmed near Toronto, this psychiatric thriller could be better but offers refreshing twists on tired themes. The cast is superb and acting brilliant. Why don’t movies allow a person to retire in peace? And, why does a retiree say he doesn’t miss work, just the people? Therefore, the message is, “You lie the loudest when you lie to yourself.”
Ron’s Rating: C+ Leigh’s Rating: B+

source: http://www.thefridayflyer.com/FF-2011-1 ... -18442.htm

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Just got home from a private screening of DH. Yes, I am that special. I am the only one in town who chose to see DH at noon today in the theater. It's the first time in my life I've been in a theater alone. It was kind of cool. Oh boy, it would have been a movie pirater's dream.

I can see the plot holes people talk about, but I still like it. It is crazy that Naomi received second billing, but that must have been agreed upon when the characters signed on because Rachel/Libby wasn't originally supposed to be in it as much as she was; she was in a lot of scenes whereas Naomi, just a few.

Critique of Rachel - I'm surprised that some reviewers single her out for having an outstanding performance. I honestly think DC was the far better actor. I am not a fan of Rachel's American accented voice, but I LOVE her normal accented voice. Also note that she slips back into her English accent for one word at scene where she is first introduced. She says, "Give me a briayk" instead of "Give me a break." I'm surprised they didn't fix that in editing. She is the bomb though, and it sure is obvious they have great chemistry.