Free speech or how do we want our discussions?

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

$abbatha

Post by $abbatha »

First of all i like to say that i've not browsed on the boards in the past days,or i had only a quick looking/reading,mainly due my job(yeah damn job,thanks God i have one 8) ) so nothing to do with the comments on the thread DC&RW in newsroom.

Regarding this new debating,pov detabating yes pov debating no, honestly how is supposed to be some discussion on two pov which are on the opposite extremes?
I mean this can be useful,or helpful?
Surely everyone get heated sometimes (surely me :lol: ) and it's not sometimes possible to acting cool,or calm down yourself simply cause this depends from own temper (another weak spot of mine :wink: ).
But mainly how we're supposed to know,only by reading,the tone of the comment?
To read isn't to listen nor speak to each other,emoticons helps but only to a certain point.
So discussion can subsist but not on completely,extremely different , point of view.

My situation actually is this:i'm the one that have a negative pov regarding W.
So am i allowed to post my opinion? Or simply,cause the most of the members own their holy point of view which is extremely different than mine,is better for me to refrain from post it?
The best thing to do is to not post,i guess.
I mean if really don't wish to ruin the party,if i'm the one having this point of view,yeah logically,is better for me to stop posting.

I know perfectly that no one for real intentionally hurts another member commenting or posting a pov,but when i read some comments is very difficult to get the correct sense of the comment (mother language,abbreviation etc) 'cause misunderstandings often happens.
So in my opionion sometimes i should try to get the real sense of the comment itself,and try to keep calm,to undestand that it's not personal,that no one attacking me but it's just simply a different point of view,simply different than mine.
Even if sometimes it's not easy at all.

So you see no solution from my side... :lol: all this talk is gettin nowhere :lol:

Maybe just try to be a little more mild when posting a comment?And maybe if i read a pov extremely different than mine better to not reply at all?
UHM...^^" don't know if could works in this way..such noob...
Last edited by $abbatha on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
honeyjes

Post by honeyjes »

Nice people don’t always say nice things, I don’t think we are vacuous individuals, and we should be big enough to take it on the chin if a riposte isn’t to our liking. This site wouldn’t be worth much if we restricted or responses to the monosyllabic and exclude the banal, funny, ridiculous, serious, reflective, dogmatic, pragmatic, outrageous, argumentative and rude.

But since I’m not much of a raconteur I’ll leave the banter to you guys, sorry my comments have ticked some of you off. Be safe

JES
Truth, wisdom, love, seek reasons; malice only seeks causes.
Johann Kaspar Lavater
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thx to those, who took the time to answer. There is most likely not a solution, that makes everybody happy, so I will give up looking for one.. :wink:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

mburns wrote:Better not to say anything at all or you might end up on the 'shit list' like me!! I would never have known if I had'nt had emails telling me about it, good to know I have friends here. Maybe the site should be renamed Dedicated to Rachel because thats all it is these days.
You ended on sf2la's shit list because you called her a lesbian.
And I really don't understand why you have to get an email to know that, because she has posted in on the open forum for all to read.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Hi Dunda,

As you can see who is here, even when they are hidden, and also know when people log on and off, perhaps you could answer a query about whether the Admins can see the pm's and what is written in them?

Somebody asked me that question recently and while I could not answer it, I thought it an interesting question.

Thanks

Jec
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I am not Dunda and not an Admin. I know, I cannot and from what I know, they can't either. Makes sense, as its called "private message" and should be respected.

But surely Dunda will and can answer you this. Good you ask in case, people worry about it.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

JEC57 wrote:Hi Dunda,

As you can see who is here, even when they are hidden, and also know when people log on and off, perhaps you could answer a query about whether the Admins can see the pm's and what is written in them?

Somebody asked me that question recently and while I could not answer it, I thought it an interesting question.

Thanks

Jec
For the Admins (and not the Mods) there's a link on top of every page to log in to Admin panel

As you can see there are some areas we can access, like changing userprofiles etc. There's no area for PM's.

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

and to see who's online I don't need to go to the Admin panel.

For the Admins (and not the Mods) the section "Who's online" looks like that

the orange one's are Admins, Mods are shown in green and hidden are shown in cursive

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Dunda wrote: For the Admins (and not the Mods) there's a link on top of every page to log in to Admin panel

As you can see there are some areas we can access, like changing userprofiles etc. There's no area for PM's.
Thank you for such a clear answer (including the graphic to show it)

Given these times of heightened sensitivities, it is a good thing to know.

Sorry.....I've got another question now! Looking at your Admin view there are "guests". When I joined I could not browse the forums, I could just see the basic front screen and then followed instructions to join.

I'm interested to see in your "view" that a guest is "searching forums".

Has the access changed to where strangers can see all our posts without being a member?
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

JEC57 wrote:
Dunda wrote: For the Admins (and not the Mods) there's a link on top of every page to log in to Admin panel

Thank you for such a clear answer (including the graphic to show it)

Given these times of heightened sensitivities, it is a good thing to know.

Sorry.....I've got another question now! Looking at your Admin view there are "guests". When I joined I could not browse the forums, I could just see the basic front screen and then followed instructions to join.

I'm interested to see in your "view" that a guest is "searching forums".

Has the access changed to where strangers can see all our posts without being a member?
Jec, if you look right and read the IP addresses, you will see it's actually Dunda that is surfing many parts of the forum, with multiple tabs open on her browser.

The only way you can enter the forum, is to register.

Profiles however, can be viewed by the unregistered.
Crazy!
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Elaine_Figgis wrote:Jec, if you look right and read the IP addresses, you will see it's actually Dunda that is surfing many parts of the forum, with multiple tabs open on her browser.

The only way you can enter the forum, is to register.

Profiles however, can be viewed by the unregistered.
Oh duh! Yes....of course if I only used my eyes! :roll: :oops:

Thanks - that's very interesting and interesting that strangers can see profiles, (not that mine contains anything anyway!).

Thanks for indulging my curiosity.
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

There is no way to say what I feel I need to say, without offending someone. But I can’t seem to hold my tongue any longer. I don’t see any of this bullshit ending anytime soon. Not that I think my comments will end it.

I’m tired, and bored, and quite frankly fed up with all of this fighting and back biting. And I’m going to make the leap and say that GG, D, and many more are as well. I come on every day, multiple times a day, because I promised D I would stick around and help where needed, though my crush has long since waned. It’s getting harder and harder to do that.

For the newbies who don’t know the history I’ll offer it now. Wendy, the original owner of D2D was left high and dry by the previous mods and admins, without so much as a forwarding address. That’s how much they cared about this website and the community that had been created. Wendy asked D and me to take over, which we gladly did, anything to keep it going. We in turn, asked GG to moderate since she’s really the kindest of the 3 of us.

I’m aware of many old members who were not happy about this choice, but there was no other at the time. All I can offer is that we do our best for the community at large. We pay our portion of the bill to keep D2D open and active. Do any of you take into consideration how easily this forum could disappear?

I’m not saying any of this to threaten, for thank yous, or pats on the back. I’m saying this out loud, for a reminder to all involved. As Jes said, ‘humans are inherently complicated’, we say provocative things, or in provocative ways, without much thought to how others will be affected, or because of it. The anonymity of technology encourages it. It happens, we are all guilty, but come on, we are grown ups after all.

So, feel free to create the community you wish to be part of. You're tired of the RW conversation? Then change the subject or don't participate. You think I want to hear about Charlie Sheen all the time on TV?

None of this is our fault, the mods or admins, though I’m sure many have a differing opinion. You want an atmosphere like JJ? Fine, it’s all yours. But, given a choice, I’d much rather have a pleasant place to visit.
Crazy!
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Amen to that. Volunteering is a tough job, and many here appreciate that Elaine, GG, and Dunda do it all on your own time/dime. That's a precarious balance, and I hope that it is not under threat. Nothing is forever but I sure do hope that we can maintain some civility in light of this fact and remember that regardless of the forcefulness of our own emotions, the next person has sensitivities and emotions too.

And if I see Charlie Sheen's drunken chops on TV one more time I may need to cancel my subscription to E Online!
Firstsupergirl

Post by Firstsupergirl »

:clapclap: to your words, Elaine!

Nothing to add!