Layer Cake featurette

The latest and oldest photos and videos of Daniel Craig. Don't be shy about contributing!

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Dunda wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:The experience couldn't have been too bad for Matthew because he approached Daniel to play Big Daddy in Kick Ass, but he turned it down.
The role went to Nick Cage.
I've never heared that before.

Cage was perfect for the role...
Yes, I read that, too, but who knows, if true :roll:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

All I remember is the talk about a possible sequel to Layer Cake and Daniel taking the lead again:
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/reeling/ ... ckass.html

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

How did Brad Pitt help make Kick-Ass happen?

I sent the script to Brad because I wanted him to play Big Daddy. He loved the script but he was just signing on to Inglourious Basterds. And he said, ‘I really like it, anything I can do to help?’ I said, ‘Well, I could really do with an American producer on this one just to help guide me.’ So he came on board.
Did he put money into the film?

You’d have to ask him that.

Who else did you ask to play Big Daddy?

I was sort of thinking Daniel Craig… I spoke to Daniel about it but he didn’t think it was for him. So, fair enough. Daniel Day-Lewis I thought would be good. We sent the script very early on to Nic, for Big Daddy and Frank D’Amico. He said he wanted to do Big Daddy

http://www.jonathancrocker.com/2010/04/ ... -kick-ass/
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Thanks, didn't remember that!

And I still think Cage was the perfect man for this role :wink:

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Vanquish

Re: Layer Cake featurette

Post by Vanquish »

Does anyone have any screencaps or the video from the scene where Daniel comes back to the house after killing Jimmy? Someone on Twitter said CR ripped it off with the scene in the bathroom after Bond kills Obanno. Personally, I don't see it.....Just wanted to see some screencaps to check.

From what I remember, the Layer Cake scene is a little more abstract and stylised. He can't sleep in bed, he does drugs, his eye bulges (I think he cries...). The CR scene is more brutal and abrupt, there's an urgent efficiency to it. It's a little more 'real.'

I could only find two from Layer Cake...Can anyone find more?

videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

I think you mean this. If you want to have it I can put it for download.
https://youtu.be/e63FPhYBfvQ
Vanquish wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:39 pm Does anyone have any screencaps or the video from the scene where Daniel comes back to the house after killing Jimmy? Someone on Twitter said CR ripped it off with the scene in the bathroom after Bond kills Obanno. Personally, I don't see it.....Just wanted to see some screencaps to check.

From what I remember, the Layer Cake scene is a little more abstract and stylised. He can't sleep in bed, he does drugs, his eye bulges (I think he cries...). The CR scene is more brutal and abrupt, there's an urgent efficiency to it. It's a little more 'real.'

I could only find two from Layer Cake...Can anyone find more?

You need to impress me, outwit me, compete with me? Go ahead, knock yourself out, I have no problem with that at all.
Vanquish

Post by Vanquish »

Thanks you!!!
Vanquish

Post by Vanquish »

Following the lead set by @Thunderfinger I decided to re-watch Layer Cake. I have to say that when I was a teenager, I loved this film so much. It still really holds up today. It's a terrific piece of slick entertainment. I suppose it would be easy to say that this is a Martin Scorsese-esque take on the British gangster film. However, that would do Layer Cake a disservice. It's much cooler, smoother and more nonchalant than Scorsese's more kinetic ADD style. For a first time director, Matthew Vaughn has serious style. There is even a hint of cynicism to the ending, which I liked. Also, since it's nearly 16 years old, the film also hasn't dated much.

Which brings me on to Craig. He's playing a surprisingly passive character. But he looks so very good doing it. Firstly, he has a terrific voice which he uses to purr through the brilliant opening narration. Secondly, he's seriously sexy. He's just cool. He's (for all extents and purposes) the British Steve McQueen with as much swagger. He has that brilliant face which always draws your eye to him. Speaking of eyes, he has a terrific pair and Vaughn never misses a chance to put them on screen.

XXXX is lithe, laconic and charismatic. Which is pretty much what the part requires and he does expertly. He isn't your usual pretty-boy star. He's handsome in a rougher, more broken-nosed way. Craig is able to elevate a fairly underwritten character and makes playing a drug-dealer look cool.

This is also one of those films where there isn't a weak link from a very memorial supporting cast. It be wrong to single any out as they are all outstanding. Though Sienna Miller has a scene-stealing turn in a hotel whilst 'Gimme Shelter' plays....

If I had to criticise this film, I suppose you could say that the plot is convoluted and probably takes a re-watch to figure out. Just maybe it's a bit too clever for it's own good (but I wouldn't say it's smug, unlike say The Gentleman). It's a bit cliched. You might want to question the lack of emotional fallout after the death of a significant character. But Layer Cake is a seriously cool movie. A really break-out performance from Craig. It's undeniable that this was the movie that made Barbara see him as 007.