Daniels Bonus

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Laredo

Post by Laredo »

I wonder what reasons they gave for refusing . Why would you ? What does it stand for ?
Marisa

Post by Marisa »

laredo wrote:I wonder what reasons they gave for refusing . Why would you ? What does it stand for ?
Not being British I might be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am. But I think they go in this order:
Knight Grand Cross or Dame Grand Cross (GBE)
Knight Commander or Dame Commander (KBE or DBE)
Commander (CBE)
Officer (OBE)
Member (MBE)

Know do you call the knights "Sir" or who gets the title of Sir? I'm confused about that.
~Marisa

Yes, considerably
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Marisa wrote:I wonder what Daniel would do? Not that it makes a difference, but I'm curious.
Good question... hard to tell what he would do. I'd like to know.
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Marisa wrote:
laredo wrote:I wonder what reasons they gave for refusing . Why would you ? What does it stand for ?
Not being British I might be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am. But I think they go in this order:
Knight Grand Cross or Dame Grand Cross (GBE)
Knight Commander or Dame Commander (KBE or DBE)
Commander (CBE)
Officer (OBE)
Member (MBE)

Know do you call the knights "Sir" or who gets the title of Sir? I'm confused about that.
Hmmm... since Elton John and Paul McCartney are called "Sir" I guess it goes for all of them. Only the two upper ranks are knights though, as far as I know. Not sure though.
Lynda

Post by Lynda »

It just all harks back to the day when Britian was pillaging the world and using slaves etc etc and being an Empire and ruling India and being very obnoxious actually!! These honours to me still just symbolise that old fashioned horrible time when the British Empire ruled.

Personally, I don't think Daniel Craig would accept a knighthood, although that would be years from now if it happend!! He he.
"He's blond ... he's Bond ... he's actually quite good!"
marsbean_mrsfishy

Post by marsbean_mrsfishy »

i agree with you, lynda, that the days of empire are something to be ashamed of, but i don't see that ignoring the honours system will resolve that, just lead to inappropriate people being honoured. it seems to me that they're not going to go away, so why not just try and realign them to be something meaningful now instead? but i guess that's me being pretty defeatist. :( i absolutely don't want the rest of the world thinking english people are still like that, wanting to rule the waves and all the rest of it. perhaps there should be a new system of 'honouring' the greatest contributors to british culture instead? i think it's a productive thing to try and do, without simply resorting to financial awards, so what could we have instead? i'm interested to know, i think this is an important issue. as you say, there are a lot of people refusing them now, such as benjamin zephaniah did a couple of years ago, and perhaps it is time for a change. crikey! it's all got a bit serious here! dan needn't worry that we're only gaping at his pecs- we're talking politics, postcolonialism, film and media criticism, cultural and social studies, threads seem to take all sorts of interesting directions on this forum!
'This blond, good looking man with the Ocean-eyes'
- Redluna
Marisa

Post by Marisa »

marsbean_mrsfishy wrote: there are a lot of people refusing them now, such as benjamin zephaniah did a couple of years ago, and perhaps it is time for a change. crikey! it's all got a bit serious here! dan needn't worry that we're only gaping at his pecs- we're talking politics, postcolonialism, film and media criticism, cultural and social studies, threads seem to take all sorts of interesting directions on this forum!
I remember reading a very interesting article when Benjamin Z refused his. His main point was that to accept an award is to "sell out." He associates the awards with England's history of colonialist oppression, hence his refusal, but also to protest the involvement of the present government in the Iraq war. The man is certainly not wishy-washy. His Bought and Sold poem tells it all.
~Marisa

Yes, considerably
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

marsbean_mrsfishy wrote: dan needn't worry that we're only gaping at his pecs- we're talking politics, postcolonialism, film and media criticism, cultural and social studies, threads seem to take all sorts of interesting directions on this forum!
I know why I love this board..... 8)
jovichick

Post by jovichick »

I have no idea why Dan would or would not accept this accorlade but IF he was to be honoured AND he DID choose to accept it, then I would imagine that he would want to accept it on the pre-curser that he had contributed something. I think he would only dain to accpet this award if he truly thought he had added some value to it. Who knows what he thinks. He'll do what's best for him in the long run. Love him whatever. 8)
I will be keeping my eye on our Government's money....and off your perfectly formed arse - You noticed!!
007cheese

Post by 007cheese »

Wow, I had no idea this would turn into a serious conversation. You people are amazing, you know that?

I agree with the consensus that he would only be knighted if he felt he did something that was worth it...and I don't think he feels that way yet. However, considering his capacity in acting and going into new ideaologies and filmographic territory, I'm sure he'll manage something in the next 10 years to amaze us all. Not that he hasn't amazed us, specifically, already. But the rest of the world ought to be converted, dontcha think?
"Who are you? Where am I? What the hell is this place?!"
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Yep, I think he is too multi-talented to not do some amazing stuff during the next years. I can see him very much as a producer at some stage of his carrer. I think I even read, that he would like that, while being a director, he found much too stressy in terms of being the first in the morning, the last... and with all those meetings. :lol:
On the other hand, from what I`ve read he already is doing that all the time anyway.

So, it will be interesting to watch.
[/b]
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

shopper12

Post by shopper12 »

I know this is off topic, but love your avatar, Germangirl!

Sorry. We can get back to discussing DC's knighthood now.