Othello

This is the place to discuss all of Mr. Craig's work on stage.

Moderator: Germangirl

Red-Snow

Re: Othello

Post by Red-Snow »

Marsha Stephanie Blake on Daniel Craig’s Sky High Nerves During Her Audition for ‘Othello’
https://collider.com/daniel-craig-othello-marsha-stephanie-blake-interview/

As for working with Craig in particular, Blake was surprised by how nervous he seemed in her audition:

“What was wonderful about him, first of all, my audition with him, I don’t know why, but I went in and I’d done a bunch of Shakespeare and I was pretty confident with my Shakespeare stuff – and I don’t know if he did this on purpose; I should ask him at some point – he seemed so nervous that I ended up being not nervous. Does that make sense? He was sweating! We started doing the scene, he started speaking and he was speaking so low that I was like, ‘What? What are you saying? I can’t hear you.’ I was like, ‘Are you nervous? You need to speak up or something.’ And I found out later on [casting director] Jack [Doulin] was impressed by the fact that I wasn’t intimidated by Daniel and I was yelling at him right away to speak up.”

Whether you’re looking at Craig’s run as James Bond or the confidence he brings to most of his big screen roles, it could be easy to assume that Craig tackles everything he does with a degree of assuredness. Whether the sweat and nerves in this instance were manufactured or not, things wound up panning out great for both Blake and Craig on Othello.

“Maybe he was trying to make me feel less nervous, but can he manufacture sweat? I don’t know! Maybe it was a Shakespeare thing? Who knows? All I know is I went in there and what I saw was somebody who was like a deer caught in headlights a little bit, a little panicky and I immediately tried to make him laugh by yelling at him, and then we had the best audition. So we went from this very big audition and then [director] Sam Gold wanted us to do it as intimate, he was like, ‘Pretend like you’re in a movie and you’re just talking to each other right here. Don’t make it theatrically big, make it movie big.’ And we ended up doing this really emotional crazy scene like right up on each other and there you go. The rest is history. But he’s lovely. He’s just fun to be around. He’d be backstage playing his guitar and none of that big confident, as you say, James Bond personality at all. Except for when he was on stage and he had to be Iago.”
videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Thx for the transcript.
You need to impress me, outwit me, compete with me? Go ahead, knock yourself out, I have no problem with that at all.
Callie

Post by Callie »

Thank you for this interesting piece. Must admit, I can't imagine why DC would be nervous, panicky or like a deer caught in headlights. :dunno:
Red-Snow wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:02 pm Marsha Stephanie Blake on Daniel Craig’s Sky High Nerves During Her Audition for ‘Othello’

As for working with Craig in particular, Blake was surprised by how nervous he seemed in her audition:
videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Callie wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:06 pm Thank you for this interesting piece. Must admit, I can't imagine why DC would be nervous, panicky or like a deer caught in headlights. :dunno:
Red-Snow wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:02 pm Marsha Stephanie Blake on Daniel Craig’s Sky High Nerves During Her Audition for ‘Othello’

Everybody has issues within themselves. Once I've read that Sheakspeare wasn't his thing. Maybe that's the thing. He said once that Yago is the part with biggest amount of lines. I know it's true, because I've read all Sheakspeare plays. And it's not the nowadays English as far as I know. So maybe this, maybe he did it to challenge her. Maybe both. The only think I really wish is to see DC on stage, but I can't see it happening concidering where I live. But that's life. Anyway maybe I'm a bit boring with all my blabbing...Sorry...
You need to impress me, outwit me, compete with me? Go ahead, knock yourself out, I have no problem with that at all.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

You sre not blabbing. I had the pleasure of seeing him a couple of times in Steady Rain, but the best thing fot me was the stage dooring. Loved that.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Germangirl wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:48 pm You sre not blabbing. I had the pleasure of seeing him a couple of times in Steady Rain, but the best thing fot me was the stage dooring. Loved that.
Please tell more about the actual play and how it was to experience that. I'm really theatre fan as well as opera so I like going to see plays. I've seen many stage door videos over YouTube, but I remember one which was funny..He was given a delivery note to sign, because he said "Oh, is there where it is supposed to be delivered?" Have you seen Betrayal?
videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

To think of he was without moustache, so maybe it was Betrayal stage door....this with the delivery thing...