Quantum of Solace

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Bond girl Gemma Arterton talks about kissing her co-stars

Quantum Of Solace - 29-03-09

Gemma Arterton is the talk of the town following some recent steamy exchanges, writes Gaynor Flynn. Gemma Arterton, the 23-year-old British actress who got hot and heavy with Daniel Craig last year in Quantum Of Solace, wants to set the record straight - reports the Sydney Morning Herald.

"I didn't tongue Jake Gyllenhaal," she laughs. In case you've missed all the hoo-ha lately, internet sites are reporting the actress French-kissed the Hollywood star while they were filming love scenes for the upcoming Disney epic, Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time.

"That was a misquote and a half," she says. "Somebody asked me if I used my tongue and I said, 'Well, I gave him a kiss and perhaps my tongue slipped' and I thought, 'Oh God no, what have I done?'

"And then they said that I tongued him, which I didn't. Which he's probably very upset about and Reese Witherspoon is also probably a bit upset as well. You know, you snogged my boyfriend. No I didn't, it was an accident."

Apparently it's not Arterton's first accident.

"Yeah, I think I did the same with Daniel [Craig]," she giggles. "I get so carried away and he is an incredible kisser." More peals of laughter.

Everything is carrying Arterton away these days. Two years ago she was just another graduate of Britain's prestigious Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, working at a make-up counter trying to pay the rent. Then she lands a plum role in St Trinian's and suddenly she's co-starring with people like Mischa Barton and Rupert Everett. Then, out of a crowd of 1500, she's picked to play Agent Fields in the new Bond film. Then Guy Ritchie wants her for RocknRolla and then she nabs Prince Of Persia (her first leading role).

No wonder she sounds breathless at times.

"I can't really get my head around it all," she says. "I keep going along with it and see what each day brings but it's been mad."

Today the actress is in London to promote The Boat That Rocked, the first of her new films to hit cinema screens. It doesn't take long to realise why everyone is so bedazzled by her. Arterton is delightful - vivacious and warm with an enthusiasm for life that is infectious.

Arterton describes The Boat That Rocked as "mad, brilliant fun". It's the tale of a group of rogue DJs in Britain in the late 1960s who set up ship in the middle of the North Sea to circumvent regulations so they can broadcast rock'n'roll around the clock. The government is unimpressed and determined to shut down the "drug-takers, lawbreakers and bottom-bashing fornications".

"I play Desiree," Arterton explains. "She's one of the girls that come on the boat on Sexual Saturday. Girls aren't allowed on the boat unless they're lesbians because they'll be distractions to the boys when they're DJ'ing. So on Sexual Saturday they ship these girls in from the mainland. I play sort of Dave's [played by Nick Frost] girlfriend."

So how would she rate Frost in the kissing stakes compared to Craig and Gyllenhaal then? (We're not afraid to ask the tough questions.)

The actress giggles. You can tell from her expression she's dying to spill the beans but she decides not to kiss and tell. Doesn't matter, we know Gyllenhaal would win hands down.

Arterton is clearly bemused by the conversation. She doesn't mind discussing the kissing; it's the fact she's co-starring with all these hot leading men that has her befuddled.

"I still can't get over the fact that I'm being put up for the lead female hot love interest," she says. "The one that's meant to be ensnaring all the men and is going to be the tottie. I don't feel like that at all. I still feel like the geeky, bookish girl."

Arterton might feel like a librarian but she certainly doesn't look like one (no offence to librarians). And she's not shy. Ask her why she thinks she's being chosen to play such sexually confident women, and she laughs and says: "Probably because I am one. But I think it's good to play women who are confident and strong."

She's just never considered herself a "looker". By all accounts she was a chubby teen who was a late bloomer. Now, of course, she's in the full throes of spring. However, being the hot love interest is so foreign that Arterton says at auditions she often tries to talk people out of hiring her: "Even on Prince Of Persia I remember saying to the producer, 'Why didn't you get Natalie Portman?' And they said, 'No, we want you.' So that sort of thing I always find weird."

"Weird", "surreal" and "out of this world" crop up a lot in Arterton's conversation. The weirdness started last year when she found herself snuggling up to the new-millennium 007. Since then life has only become weirder.

"I never, ever, ever thought I'd be considered for Bond," a wide-eyed Arterton says. "And when I got it, it was so out of this world that I decided I wasn't going to put any pressure on myself and I wasn't going to try and live up to anybody's expectations and I was just going to enjoy it. And I did."

Not even the love scene fazed her. "I just did it," she says. "Then Daniel started kissing up my back and ... I went, 'Oh my God, this is crazy.' But I never think about things too much, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad.

"I just keep taking it as it comes but it was a bit weird when my mum called. She said, 'What are you doing?' I said, 'I'm kissing Daniel Craig.' It was very out of this world."

It's a long way from Gravesend, in Kent, where Arterton was born. Her mother is a cleaning lady and her father is a welder. Her parents divorced when she was six but her father remained involved in his children's upbringing. She has a younger sister, Hannah, who's training to be an actress.

"I started off wanting to be a singer," Arterton says. "I'm actually a classically trained singer. Not many people know that. It's more opera. "Then I started doing music theatre and I started getting more confident with acting and that's what I ended up falling into more.

"That's why I loved The Boat That Rocked. Music is my biggest love in the whole world and it was great to be involved in something that's all about music."

Even '60s rock'n'roll music? "I'm a little bit of a rock'n'roll girl, actually, even though I can sing opera. My whole family is very musical. I have an uncle that was in quite a famous punk band over here [Reckless Eric] and my sister's in a band and when we're together we always have little jam sessions."

While Arterton is adjusting "quite well" to her new life, she admits it is "overwhelming" at times, particularly some of the "unexpected pressures" that come with the job, like recent criticisms about her weight.

The actress was at the BAFTAs in February and a badly angled photo depicted her with a double chin. Headlines like "Jowly Gemma" soon followed.

"It's one of the most hurtful things," she says. "I've always found that stuff ridiculous. I know what I see as a healthy, attractive, alluring person and it's always someone that's confident. It doesn't matter what size or shape they are but unfortunately that's not what the focus is in the industry. So I'm still getting used to all that."

She better hurry up because Prince Of Persia is expected to catapult her into the big time next year. This level of scrutiny is nothing compared with what awaits her.

"I'm not worried," she says.

What about losing her anonymity - does that scare her?

"No, because even after the Bond film I looked so different to how I look in real life I never really got recognised too much. I go down to my local pub and people don't really care over here. They're more into themselves."

A couple of relationships have already suffered due to her hectic work schedule. She recently broke up with 19-year-old Spanish stuntman Eduardo Munoz, her horse-riding instructor on Prince Of Persia.

"I'm dating somebody else now," she giggles. "It's all very new. He's from New Zealand but it's very early days.

"I think it is very, very hard to have long-distance relationships. I think you have to have somebody in your life that's very content and happy in what they're doing and they're not waiting for you to call and vice versa."

No needy boyfriends then? "Yeah. I've had all that. Now I look for someone who has a rich life, too."

The relationship will be put to the test soon enough, given Arterton is about to start filming Clash Of The Titans, which also stars Aussie actor Sam Worthington.

"I hope he's nice because we have to fall in love," she laughs.

To cope with the madness of her new-found celebrity, Arterton turned to Sir Ben Kingsley, her co-star in Prince Of Persia. His advice was simple: "He told me to just be myself, because so many people are trying to change you and trying to make you something you're not. He told me to keep being unique, which I thought was the best advice ever."

The Boat That Rocked is released on April 9.

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?ite ... mi6&s=news
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
Zibzabzut

Post by Zibzabzut »

I LOVE her. She is cute as a button and seems to be very down to earth. It's also nice to see a healthy looking woman instead of a twig 8)
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Zibzabzut wrote:I LOVE her. She is cute as a button and seems to be very down to earth. It's also nice to see a healthy looking woman instead of a twig 8)
She's one of my highlights in QoS (apart from Daniel of course). So funny!
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
agrippina

Post by agrippina »

Aragorn wrote:Bond girl Gemma Arterton talks about kissing her co-stars

"I'm dating somebody else now," she giggles. "It's all very new. He's from New Zealand but it's very early days.
This put together with the "Gemma dating Daniel's body double" rumours equals Gemma is dating Ben Cooke?!

She could think twice before she opens her mouth in interviews and her dress sense is a bit weird...

Grip
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

agrippina wrote:
Aragorn wrote:Bond girl Gemma Arterton talks about kissing her co-stars

This put together with the "Gemma dating Daniel's body double" rumours equals Gemma is dating Ben Cooke?!

She could think twice before she opens her mouth in interviews and her dress sense is a bit weird...

Grip
Ha ha, guess it's at least one removed from the real thing!!!!!

Agree, she does have a propensity for verbal diarrhea. She's young, I give her that, but she was the same at the QoS premiere talking about Dan's bad breath - trying to be sarcastic but coming across as pretty immature.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Bonds "Quantum-Trost" ist bester Blu-ray Verkaufsstart aller Zeiten
Der explosive Blockbuster "James Bond 007 - Ein Quantum Trost" hat gleich mehrere Rekorde aufgestellt. Der zweite Film mit Daniel Craig als James Bond gilt als bester Blu-ray Verkaufsstart aller Zeiten und hat mit 64.000 verkauften Exemplaren am ersten Wochenende diesen Titel erreicht und damit gleichzeitig Warners "The Dark Knight" abgelöst. Insgesamt wurden 332.000 Blu-ray Discs und DVDs im Rental- und im Retailbereich abgesetzt. Damit hat die Blu-ray Disc einen beeindruckenden Marktanteil von knapp 20% an den Gesamtverkäufen erzielt. Folglich schoss der Titel direkt von Null auf Eins der Verkaufscharts und gilt als bisher erfolgreichster Titel im laufenden Jahr 2009.
http://www.bluray-disc.de/news/filme/60 ... ler-zeiten

It says BEST Blue-ray sales start EVER - BETTER than The Dark Knight.

And another one
http://commanderbond.net/components/qui ... item=53944
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Quantum of Solace Review:

The thing I enjoyed most about the new chapter was that it wasn't your typical spy movie. Instead of a gadget wielding secret agent, Bond is on a hunt for vengeance this time around. I've already made a note to not make a guy like Daniel Craig mad, because when you get him going, there's just no stopping him. He's a complete machine when it comes to the stunts he will pull.

http://www.fanbolt.com/moviedvdreview.php?id=287
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Forster talks about the Douglas DC-3 from `Quantum of Solace`

Quantum Of Solace - 01-04-09

Suspicious that an ecological organisation is actually a front for a nefarious plot? And that the natural resources of Bolivia are under threat from these shadowy villains? Better take to the skies to survey the area in question - reports Boxwish. Well, that’s what James Bond (Daniel Craig) does in Quantum of Solace (out now on DVD). Accompanied by Camille (Olga Kurylenko), 007 hops onboard a Douglas DC-3 aeroplane and takes a gander at the Latin American countryside from the air. But of course, this being Bond he doesn’t achieve a safe, tidy landing, instead his aircraft is shot down from the skies and the pair have to make an emergency parachute jump. Oh Mr Bond, what are we to do with you?

Manufactured by the Douglas Aircraft Company, the Douglas DC-3 is an American fixed-wing, propeller-driven aircraft and first took flight back in the 30s. From that moment on it became one of the most popular models in the American skies, with many bought for use by airlines such as United, American, TWA and many overseas helping popularise commercial air travel. They also helped the war effort in the 40s and though they’re now pretty old in aviation terms, they still perform as cargo planes and are thoroughly celebrated by pilots.

Finding one for use in the 22nd James Bond outing proved challenging as director Marc Forster explains: “The DC-3 itself was difficult to get. We had one in Mexico, where all the aerial combat was shot. We then needed that DC-3 to travel from Northern Mexico to Antofagasta in Chile for Bond and Camille’s arrival and take off from the airport in the desert. The Mexican DC-3 was not capable of making the journey due to mechanical problems. We tried to find a match all over South America but we couldn’t locate a single one. Either we couldn’t paint the plane the same colour or there were other restrictions.”

“The producers approached me with a museum piece down in Santiago that they could bring up, but the plane couldn’t move and Bond wouldn’t be able to take off, but at least it was an answer and there would be a DC-3 standing in the background. At the last possible moment we found a DC-3 out of Miami, which they flew to Antofagasta. Watching that plane take off over the desert, it looked so unreal and beautiful at the same time. I was overjoyed we had settled for nothing less.”

Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

`Quantum` tops rental and sales charts at Blockbuster

Quantum Of Solace - 01-04-09

The 22nd James Bond film "Quantum of Solace", released on DVD and Blu-Ray last week, is topping the charts for rentals and sales at Blockbuster in Canada.

DVD RENTALS
1 Quantum of Solace
2 Twilight
3 Role Models
4 Bolt
5 Transporter 3
6 Milk
7 Punisher: War Zone
8 Australia
9 Rachel Getting Married
10 Body of Lies

DVD SALES
1 Quantum of Solace
2 Twilight
3 Bolt
4 Role Models
5 Punisher: War Zone
6 Transporter 3
7 Barbie Presents Thumbelina
8 Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
9 Pinocchio (70th Anniversary Platinum Edition)
10 Kung Fu Panda

BLU-RAY DISC SALES
1 Quantum of Solace
2 Twilight
3 Bolt
4 Transporter 3
5 Punisher: War Zone
6 Role Models
7 Seven
8 Sin City
9 Fast and the Furious Collection
10 From Dusk Till Dawn

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Forster working on better DVD

The first Quantum of Solace DVDs and Blu-rays were good, not great, and director Marc Forster knows it.

He is now working on elite versions for his James Bond movie, Forster tells Sun Media.

"With this first DVD (last week's Special Edition on standard DVD, plus the similar Blu-ray), it all happened pretty fast and I didn't really have the time. I was only a little bit involved. But I will be working on the second DVD. I will be much more involved in that, putting pieces on."

Among bonuses, there will be commentaries and new behind-the-scenes featurettes. "It is much more in-depth," Forster promises.

He is, however, in a quandary about exactly how much to reveal.

"It used to be that cinema was magic for us," Forster says, "and we really didn't know how certain things were done. It was the sense of this mystery box.

"Today, because of DVD, people are so aware of how everything is being realized. And I think there are still certain things that should remain a mystery because that makes it interesting."

For example, he is debating whether to include the coda that was shot to extend the current ending. It happens to have that famous introduction, "Bond, James Bond."

"It wasn't cut because of that sentence," Forster explains. "It was cut for other reasons. I think it worked but it is still better how it is. It's not on this DVD and we are still discussing whether we should put it in the next one. On one hand, I think it would be cool for the audience to see it. On the other hand, I think it would be more interesting to keep it a mystery."

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment ... 6-sun.html
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

It even beat Twilight! Thanks for the news Aragorn :)
Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

Great news about sales! Yeah! it beat that boring Twilight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great interview with Gem 8) 1 bad thing is that reporter's remark about Gillenhaal's better kissing. :evil:
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Thelma wrote:Forster working on better DVD

The first Quantum of Solace DVDs and Blu-rays were good, not great, and director Marc Forster knows it.

He is now working on elite versions for his James Bond movie, Forster tells Sun Media.

"With this first DVD (last week's Special Edition on standard DVD, plus the similar Blu-ray), it all happened pretty fast and I didn't really have the time. I was only a little bit involved. But I will be working on the second DVD. I will be much more involved in that, putting pieces on."

Among bonuses, there will be commentaries and new behind-the-scenes featurettes. "It is much more in-depth," Forster promises.
YES!!! That's great news. :D
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Anglophile wrote:
Thelma wrote:Forster working on better DVD

YES!!! That's great news. :D
So we have to pay twice? Now that irks me. I know that's the way with the Director's cut, but come on Sony. Why didn't he just give us the full movie in the theater. Grr.
Zibzabzut

Post by Zibzabzut »

Grr...that irks me a bit too. I spent extra money on the two-disc and NOW there maybe another one? Ah well... :roll: