Othello

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

TRUMP AS IAGO
SAM GOLD PRESENTS A VERSION OF ‘OTHELLO,’ STARRING DAVID OYELOWO AND DANIEL CRAIG, THAT HAS NEVER BEEN MORE VISCERALLY, FRIGHTENINGLY AMERICAN

http://www.mtv.com/news/2973112/trump-as-iago/
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks. Interesting take on it.

Hope we get something from last night. It must feel good to have a success but also to be done with it for the moment.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Oh no, just now read the MTV review, SG. Thanks for posting. What a great read that is so insightful. My favorite review of them all.

Am so looking forward to his next project. Will that be Purity?
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

sf2la wrote:Oh no, just now read the MTV review, SG. Thanks for posting. What a great read that is so insightful. My favorite review of them all.

Hi sf, Kings is next, shooting should be completed end Feb, not
sure when Purity starts.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
sf2la wrote:Oh no, just now read the MTV review, SG. Thanks for posting. What a great read that is so insightful. My favorite review of them all.

Hi sf, Kings is next, shooting should be completed end Feb, not
sure when Purity starts.
Thank you so much, SG. I am so overworked that I can't keep up right now. I think things will be better in April. I don't even know about Kings. I'll look through the threads. At least he's working and the Sahara desert doesn't appear to be close again.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

I don't think Baz's write up was ever posted, so here's a snippet...

Craig’s big, lad-like Iago reminds us that before Bond, the actor’s skills were forged on the stage. It’ll be interesting to see how his work with Gold informs his next foray into the world of 007, should he stay on as Bond.
The sad news is that there are, as yet, no plans to transfer this Othello to Broadway — or the West End.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z4XLLG6VTu
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Interesting read, SG. I don't know enough about the theaters in the West End, but the ONLY way this play worked so well was because the audience was essentially in the same space as the actors. Imagine only four rows. Period. Actually, the best seats would have been second row, in the middle, exactly where Rachel, H, Mark Strong, and his son sat. But there was no way of knowing that when they went on sale. The layout was very confusing when it was published; I think everyone expected to be sitting in a regular theater audience.
Last edited by sf2la on Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerHeels

Post by KillerHeels »

Agree Sf. I sat in row 2 of the theater, it was a great seat, about half way up. I did wonder when I took my seat and looked at the mattresses and army lights on the floor below, wondering what I'd stepped into!

As soon as the play started, all the lights went off, and we were plunged into complete darkness, except for lights from i Phones and torches. That was quite mind-blowing....But it worked to set the scene.

No real set changes as you know, the actors removed the mattresses themselves and packed away their own props, during the play.

It was almost like going to an end of year school play, in a games hall, except these were award winning actors performing!

I can see why Daniel wanted to do this, it was so far removed from traditional Shakespeare and the whole set up was really innovative.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Hi KH! Yes, 2nd row looked best. I had front row twice, but what, there's maybe an 18 inch difference from the stage yet you have a better view. I think the only payoff for me was getting to stare at that new wrist tattoo long enough so that I could try to describe it. Interestingly, there was the report that Daniel went up the steps and stood next to Rachel. I saw the show at the end and he went up the same set of steps and stopped at the same spot. Unless those are blocked seats for friends and family, no one special was sitting my there that night.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks you guys for more inside views and thanks Sylvia for Baz 😊
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

KillerHeels

Post by KillerHeels »

Daniel is nominated for his role in Othello ... And well deserved in my opinion.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/variety.co ... 61331/amp/