Othello

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Great. Waiting for your report. :thumbup:

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Yeah, we get many reports :D
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Two more tweets from today:

bethbethbeth â€￾@bethbethbeth01
Okay...if you can get a cancellation for @NYTW79's #Othello, do! The production's great...and #DanielCraig & #DavidOyelowo are brilliant.

Robin Rice â€￾@RobinRiceWrites
OTHELLO at NYTW - wow. Just wow! Daniel Craig and David Oyelowo lead a stellar cast, directed by Sam Gold. Wow.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Such a bummer daBoss and I ended up not being able to go together. This dang thing called work got in the way. I'll end up getting a receipt for a tax deductible charitable contributionforvmy missed performance. I have one ticket in January, but I can't commit to making that just yet. So glad I spread apart the dates.

Okay, the play. I hope it does not make it to Broadway. I can't imagine it being as good. Right now it's sort of theatre-in-the round (3 straight sides.) It's intimate, and the actors are in the same space as you. I had to quickly tuck my foot in as Daniel walked by or I would have tripped him. They warned us of keeping out feet and bags in. They are extremely adamant about no photography and have staff stationed around. They told the woman next to me that her bag had to go under her seat. Everyone has cubbies under the seats. The staff said it's to make sure people don't take photos. I had my phone in my pocket and was going to try to take one snap as they were taking their bows but just couldn't do it. Everyone else was behaving and it would have been obvious.. Sort of good thing, too, because the couple behind me went backstage (but it was in an open area) to talk with David O. They obviously knew him. They stood and talked in the open doorway for quite some time. I stayed through the Q&A with the creative staff afterward.

Turns out that Daniel sat down in the aisle next to the woman next to me. The play is happening on the floor and you have to follow the person speaking. It would have been extremely creepy to be looking at Daniel when the action/talking was at the other end, so I didn't look at him in those situations. As far as I could tell, no one did that. People followed the play, which I think was very rewarding for Daniel. No starers or stalker-types there just to look at Daniel (although I would have loved to have done just that!). But you just can't, nor do you want to be THAT weirdo pereon I did stare at his blond hairy legs when they were two feet from me on the aisle. Totally chiseled in stone. Sharp lines. Really impressive. The man is in shape!

There were many times that Daniel would be standing 3 feet away, but he was standing to my left when the speaking was on the right. No looking. But with so much time and being so close, there was no shortage of getting to see Daniel up close. To be perfectly honest, he looked very average. There's no way one would single him out on the street for looking so handsome. He's simply aged, and it shows. However his body is striking. David actually has the better, more muscular body, which may be why he wears a tank shirt and Daniel a t-shirt, darn it. David's arms are huge and well defined. I was surprised how short David is. Like I said in Bee"s blog, Daniel has all gray hair. I studied and studied under the different light and I found it to be all gray. The next time we see it brown, it will be because it is dyed. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But Daniel's face looked normally nice. No woman would kick him out of bed! The tattoos were visible on his right arm. The inside ones and the tip of the bicep one. His sleeve bunched up one time exposing the whole upper arm tattoo. The E (and hopefully no more) were covered by a padded elbow sleeve.

The play started out with all the cast members taking their mattress positions in low light. Daniel and David were among them. There were no individual entrances. The ending was the same for my night. It was an ensemble bow, not like the photo posted of another performance.

I rank this performance of Daniel's with The Mother and Some Voices, two of my favorites. Certainly, he's cool as Bond, but he absolutely lights up the theater doing this. You can tell that this is what he LOVES to do, and he is SO good at it. Who wouldn't want to be Bond AND make all that money, but I felt like I saw a lifetime of his acting in that one play. He was so alive and one with the audience and fellow actors. I felt like THIS is why he wanted to be an actor. And so different from ASR and Betrayal. He was in his element with this.

It's absolutely amazing that they memorized all those lines. And yes, Daniel speaks directly to some audience members as he's explaining the plot. I studied up on Othello before the play, but the way it was done, with Daniel's tipping the audience off regarding what he was up to, made it seamless and understandable to everyone. It wasn't necessary to know the story beforehand. The adaptation to contemporary times was such a welcome and surprising twist. I wasn't looking forward to the toga thing. However, they did speak in Shakespearean tongue.

So without a doubt, this was my favorite Daniel theater experience. He and David gave equally powerful performances. The play would not be what it is without both of these amazing talents, and they know it. They are just both AMAZING actors. It was just incredible to experience that kind of talent in the same room. And there were no 'Cuts', do-overs, etched. All live and incredibly well rehearsed.

One cool thing that we already know is that Daniel has the swagger without Bond. It's so masculine. Particularly after this, I don't care if he ever does Bond again (and certainly it would be for the money.) I just want to see more of him and more lines than he gets in Bond films. He's just so good. I have a greater appreciation of him now. I thought he was the weak link in Betrayal for a long time. He did get better and better throughout its run. I'm expecting Purity to be the role that's going to get us hooked into his character. . Imagine seeing him in a new episode every week acting like a regular person? I'll take that over Bond any day.
Maria

Post by Maria »

sf2la - THANK YOU!

You described it so well, I could imagine in my mind what you saw. Sincerely, appreciate your description and comments. Makes such a a difference for those of us who could not be there in person, we go too share it through your eyes.
Maria

Post by Maria »

I was just looking up internet news of Othello and came across this article - technically about David, but interesting work ethic comments too: (really probably a repost of other articles)

David Oyelowo: Daniel Craig is an 'obsessive workaholic nutter'

Daniel Craig is an "obsessive workaholic nutter", according to David Oyelowo.

The 'Selma' actor has likened himself to his 'Othello' co-star as they both seek out perfection in their work.

He told Entertainment Tonight: "I don't mean in terms of feeling like we're not getting it right. Just the work - the work to get it right. And more often than not, I find myself in situations where I am the most obsessed one on that set or in the play. [Daniel's an] equally obsessive workaholic nutter. The rigor he places on himself and the text and the desire and need to pursue the truth is really amazing and is what I like to think I have as well."

Meanwhile, David previously admitted he is a reluctant "spokesperson for diversity" in the film industry.

He explained: "I am a spokesperson for diversity, reluctantly. Because if I don't do it, then I am part of the problem. And we do have a problem. I recently worked with four female directors in a row and that has been made such a big deal of. No one highlights when an actor works with 15, 20, 25 male directors in a row.

"My refrain is that we need to stop talking about diversity and just start doing diversity. We all have our bias, so the only way to have true diversity is to have more of a mix of people who are decision-makers in order that their natural bias is what is seen.

"I'm aware there are people who, the minute I open my mouth, are rolling their eyes thinking, 'Oh, here we go again'. They have the notion that you are calling them racist or whatever. But I am not. I am just telling you my experience: it is a struggle to get stories told that reflect the society that we live in."

http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story/70 ... c-nutter-/
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Thank you, Maria. I can so totally see exactly what David said in the bold text. Three hours of professional acting that I don't ever expect to see again, unless it's another showing of this. Those two, live, show what talent can be and why they receive the accolades they have. I'm really looking forward to the reviews.

I'm never that trusting of acting in movies. There are so many takes, and if it's still not right they just dub in the voices. This was, IMO, his best talent on display. David's, too. The play requires them to both be great, not just really, really good.
Maria

Post by Maria »

sf2la wrote:Thank you, Maria. I can so totally see exactly what David said in the bold text. Three hours of professional acting that I don't ever expect to see again, unless it's another showing of this. Those two, live, show what talent can be and why they receive the accolades they have. I'm really looking forward to the reviews.

I'm never that trusting of acting in movies. There are so many takes, and if it's still not right they just dub in the voices. This was, IMO, his best talent on display. David's, too. The play requires them to both be great, not just really, really good.
That's one of the joys of live theatre, especially with a truly professional cast. Talent, professional work ethic, communication with fellow cast, everyone raises the bar and they all share in it. I'm glad you had a chance to see it and could share with us. Thank you again.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks sf for the report :D Actually I never thought, it was Shakespeare, that would be his thing. But I am really proud, it is. Such an undertaking and what an act of love for acting, in terms of doing it in such small scale. They just do it for the fun of it and that's so cool.

Reg his hair, I believe its been grey for some time. You can't have an almost white beard and blonde hair. :wink: Obviously he is going for normal aging without having anything done like so many others. Its his decision and I would have been surprised, if he chose otherwise. Not that I am against doing bits here and there. But I think, for Bond, he would need to do just that and if he doesn't - stay away from it. Just my two...he can dive nicely into character acting like this and reading about Othello, this seems, what he loves and wants and is doing so well. So - go for it. :D

I regret a bit, I didn't go. Now that would have been rewarding - so much Daniel and so good. I am sure, I would have looked at him never mind, where the action was :lol: Damn, I would be THERE for the guy and would want the optimum out of it. Ah well... :wink:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Sf, thanks for your excellent report.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Thanks SF, so pleased you enjoyed it.
Sounds like a great production, I so wish I could see it.
Did Daniel sing Hotline Bling when you were there sf?

Julia Woolever â€￾@juliawool Nov 28
You guys, Othello at @NYTW79 was everything and more. "More" in this case being a Hotline Bling dance break. I LOVE SHAKESPEARE.

korianna â€￾@kori_hays 8h8 hours ago
I just watched James Bond sing Hotline Bling #OthelloNYTW

TheNYGalavant â€￾@TheNYGalavant 6h6 hours ago
#ThatMomentWhen I'm grateful for tonight's @NYTW79 seating where #DanielCraig as Iago was w/I inches of me several times tonite. #nyctheater

.@NYTW79 Sam Gold's visionary #othellonytw = balances anachronistic modernity & classicist #Shakespeare epically -> must-see #nyctheater 🙂💜

#ThatMomentWhen @NYTW79 #SamGold & #WilliamDafoe discuss tonight's OTHELLO mid-intermission directly in front of me

vanessaaspillaga#othello #intermission @nytw79 OMG Soooooo GOOOOOD SOOOOOOOGOOOOOOD I CAN'T!!!! If you can get a ticket, get one, it's sooooo worth it!!! I'm scared about the second act, for real!

Daniel Craig and David Oyelowo did not come out after the matinee, but they did for the evening. Daniel Craig signed but did not take pictures on the way to his car. David Oyelowo took pictures, signed, and chatted with people.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

WOW, you can't beat these reviews. Universally great. I hope, thecritics raelly go along with this.

What's with this dancing thing? It can't be in the play, so Daniel is doing this for fun?

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:WOW, you can't beat these reviews. Universally great. I hope, thecritics raelly go along with this.

What's with this dancing thing? It can't be in the play, so Daniel is doing this for fun?
Not sure, this is what I'd like sf to clarify, but according to one of the tweets above, it's played in the intermission.
CheekyNandos

Post by CheekyNandos »

Wow! Nice stories. I can share my friends now too. She took a pic and sent it to me but strictly forbid me from sharing it with you. Don't worry. It's not of Dan but of the set before the show even started. Please note there are spoilers for the show ahead.

So my friend had a bit of a torrid time. Way back when she had a choice, either see this or see another one of her heroes. She chose to see this. At first we were planning to see it together because I was already going over to NYC to see her and do touristy things for Christmas. When general sale came around, there was only one seat available for the 18th and we'd already spoke about that if I could take it then I should have it because of travelling. She joined the queue but by the time it was down to nothing, there were no tickets available.

For a long time she resigned herself to not seeing it... Then they announced that there were tickets available over Thanksgiving. She bought one for the Saturday and managed to get a Row A. She was chuffed but then it was cancelled. Anyway, NYTW don't really know what they're going to do because they sent a few emails both of which suggested they just have to sit tight.

She rang on Friday because a ticket seemed available on the Tuesday. It was apparently a bug but for her trouble they ended up offering her Saturday matinee. Row B - in the middle. She took it.

She's sitting there yesterday and there's no one in the Row A aisle seat... To which I was like "you need to ask for that seat" for obvious reasons. So no one turned up, she asked, she got the seat!

Well... I can confirm pretty much what everyone else was saying. He was good, built big and also David is excellent (and buff). She was lucky enough to have Dan inches away from her on the aisle seat a few times, to quote her own words. She was fortunate enough to have gasped at something, his Iago to have noticed and smirk at her. At the time he'd been looking at her in the eye and was saying something.

Hotline Bling IS a part of the show and he does participate. She said he didn't twerk but he does some "dirty dancing" though she didn't clarify what/how. He's full of energy and addresses the audience well, bounces around the whole place and runs up and down the stairs. She said it was seemingly at random and he goes right to the top but in her show he didn't go to where my seat is located... We'll have to wait and see how "random" that is!

He was big. Smelt great (that's how close she was). She said he was heavy footed. You could tell he was moving about and it was him all the time. Emilia gets a kiss from him and also pinches his nipples :lol:

Anyway, she had a whale of a time, as you can tell. She loves Shakespeare (way more than me) and studied it quite a lot when she was younger. She said it was amazing and that he plays jealousy incredibly well and that his Iago blew her away. David was really good as well.

It was a matinee so no waiting around afterwards as there was another show later that night. She did ask the staff about stage dooring and such and they implied there's a small chance he goes out of the front entrance... They basically more or less said there's another entrance that nobody knows about but where that is, who knows. It doesn't seem as if he is too keen anyway.

If there is anything else I remember from what she told me then I will let you know. She was literally on cloud nine :).
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Great write-up, Cheeky. That's exactly how it went down. The entire ensemble dances at one point, and it was interesting to see Daniel dance because I've never seen that. And yes, he gets his nopples pinched. They are hard the whole play because they stick out from his t-shirt. I am not a Shakespeare fan, but I loved this.

GG, I swear that you would not have turned your back to the play to stare at Daniel, as much as you think you would. I think it would be very disrespectful and disturbing to him, and that's why you and I wouldnt do that. The show isnt all him. I thought he loves being part of the ensemble, but he is doing this because he can do it with David. Looking at him really depends where you sit. I was off-center toward the end of the U front row. The seating is like a long U. If you're at the base of the U or at the ends, you're able to catch the entire show but I think Daniel goes to the opposite wall sometimes to get out of the way. Only those at the base would see him, but they'd be farther away. Like I said, there are PLENTY of opportunities to see him very close during the play. And he does bounce everywhere. He is in his element and thrives. It was just so spectacular and. It just because of him. Again, the way it was written, the other actors... The set, the intimate in-the-round theater. I just hope I can go to the show on January. I'm missing this week's. I took a pic of the set before people were seated. I could post that. The one that's posted with the two Ds is 100% better.