Skyfall Awards

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

I guess mentions of SF from diff Top 2012 lists counts 4 this thread
so

David Edelstein's Runners-Up for the Best Films of 2012
Skyfall
Director Sam Mendes’s Skyfall has a cheeky attitude toward James Bonds old and new—toward the conflict between the traditional Bond established by Sean Connery and the rough, hurting, rather self-indulgent persona of Daniel Craig’s Bond. Mendes and co-writer John Logan run out of invention in the last act, but until then this is an unusually funny, literate action picture with a cavalcade of glorious stunts and a mythic nutcase villain in Javier Bardem.
http://www.vulture.com/2012/12/david-ed ... -2012.html
Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

Satellite noms!
Motion Picture

Argo Warner Bros.
Silver Linings Playbook The Weinstein Co.
Beasts Of The Southern Wild Fox Searchlight Pictures
Les Misérables Universal
Skyfall Columbia Pictures
Moonrise Kingdom Focus Features
The Sessions Fox Searchlight Pictures
Lincoln Dreamworks/Touchstone
Life Of Pi Twentieth Century Fox
Zero Dark Thirty Columbia Pictures
Actress In A Supporting Role

Amy Adams The Master The Weinstein Co.
Helene Florent Café De Flore Adopt Films
Anne Hathaway Les Misérables Universal
Helen Hunt The Sessions Fox Searchlight Pictures
Judi Dench Skyfall Columbia Pictures
Samantha Barks Les Miserables Universal

Actor In A Supporting Role

Philip Seymour Hoffman The Master The Weinstein Co.
Robert De Niro Silver Linings Playbook The Weinstein Co.
John Goodman Flight Paramount Pictures
Javier Bardem Skyfall Columbia Pictures
Tommy Lee Jones Lincoln Dreamworks/Touchstone
Eddie Redmayne Les Misérables Universal
Original Score Composer Title of Film

Alexandre Desplat Argo Warner Bros.
Dario Marianelli Anna Karenina Focus Features
Thomas Newman Skyfall Columbia Pictures
Jonny Greenwood The Master The Weinstein Co.
John Williams Lincoln Dreamworks/Touchstone
Dan Romer, Benh Zeitlin Beasts Of The Southern Wild /Fox Searchlight Pictures

Original Song (Title Of Song Performer Writer(S) Title Of Film)

Learn Me Right Birdy Birdy & Mumford And Sons Brave
Still Alive Paul Williams Paul Williams Paul Williams: Still Alive
Skyfall Adele Adele Adkins, Paul Epworth Skyfall
Suddenly Hugh Jackman Alain Boubil, Herbert Kretzmer Les Misérables
Fire In The Blood/Snake Song Emmylou Harris Emmylou Harris, Nick Cave, Warren Ellis Lawless
Love Always Comes As A Surprise Peter Asher Peter Asher & Dave Stewart Madagascar 3

Cinematography

Ben Richardson Beasts Of The Southern Wild/Fox Searchlight Pictures
Mihai Malaimare Jr The Master/The Weinstein Co.
Janusz Kaminski Lincoln/Dreamworks/Touchstone
Roger Deakins Skyfall/Columbia Pictures
Seamus Mcgarvey Anna Karenina/Focus Features
Claudio Miranda Life Of Pi/Twentieth Century Fox

Visual Effects

Steve Begg, Arundi Asregadoo, Andrew Whitehurst Skyfall Columbia Pictures
Richard Stammers, Charley Henley, Martin Hill Prometheus Twentieth Century Fox
Bill Westenhofer Life Of Pi Twentieth Century Fox
Michael Lantieri, Kevin Baillie, Ryan Tudhope, Jim Gibbs Flight Paramount Pictures
Dan Glass, Geoffrey Hancock, Stephane Ceretti Cloud Atlas Warner Bros.
Chris Corbould, Paul Franklin The Dark Knight Rises Warner Bros.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

:( for DC

:D for SF as Best Picture.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

EW’s Top Ten Best Films of the Year
Lisa Schwarzbaum
1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. Lincoln
3. The Master
4. Amour
5. Argo
6. The Gatekeepers
7. Beasts of the Southern Wild
8. Skyfall
9. The Loneliest Planet
10. How to Survive a Plague
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2032635 ... l#21249723
SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

Am I being really stupid..? :? :oops: In Elvenstar's list above, I haven't heard of ANY of the first seven movies!! (Apart from 'Lincoln' although that hasn't come out in the UK yet...)
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

NextBondGirl wrote:Am I being really stupid..? :? :oops: In Elvenstar's list above, I haven't heard of ANY of the first seven movies!! (Apart from 'Lincoln' although that hasn't come out in the UK yet...)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't heard a thing of most of them too :lol: but most are not released here in Germany before 2013 or they are not released at all.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

In the mail today, just received a Skyfall screener with the words "For Your Consideration" on the jacket (we receive these because of membership in the Director's Guild).
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

Now comes my probably not so popular opinion. :twisted:

I don't think his directing was Award worthy. The most he did was lending techniques and scenes from other movies. The only outstanding scene directing wise was the terror speech in the court/car driving scene. The cut was excellent here. The rest was standard. I also think the pacing was off from time to time. I'm not sure if it was just the script's fault but there are directors outthere who can do wonders with a mediocre script. Darren Aronbofsky with Black Swan for example (Some dialogues were on soap level). They should concentrate their campaign on the outstanding cinemategraphy and Judi Dench who had a strong year (Best Exotic Marigold Hotel) and chances. Bardem already won an Oscar for a villain role which probably should lessen his award chances but he and Daniel are also more award worthy than Mendes.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I really don't care so much about Sam and awards other then it will help the film overall, but the pacing was the most WOW from me, when I got out of the theater. The pacing for me was incredible. 21/2 hour of cheer sitting on the edge of my seat.

Other then that, I really cannot say, where the work of a director begins and what influence on the finished prioduct do have people like Deakins etc etc.

Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

Now comes a not so nice question but would you say the same about the pacing if Bond was Zac Efron instead of Daniel?

When you swoon over the main actor you don't see often faults or mistakes of the movie. :wink:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Maybelline wrote:Now comes a not so nice question but would you say the same about the pacing if Bond was Zac Efron instead of Daniel?

When you swoon over the main actor you don't see often faults or mistakes of the movie. :wink:
I know, what you mean and I am certainly guilty of being biased, but I can honestly say, that the pacing was one of the best aspects for me of the whole film.

Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

I understand. :wink:

It's tough to discuss the pacing with you because you were hooked from the first to the last minute. I wish I would have made the same experience. But I also read that other people including my mother and grandma had also a problem with the pacing. It's really not me alone.

Personally the best movie of the year for me is "Moonrise Kingdom" followed by "The Deep Blue Sea". Both movies are very slow but I was engaged from the first to the last minute. The rest of the year including Skyfall was just okay for me.
Littlesue

Post by Littlesue »

I noticed a few flaws, the scene where Judy meets the new M for the first time, when she sits down she puts a large bag on the floor, when she stands up its not there but when she gets to the door its in her hand again :) also when they are in the house at the end in one scene she wears wedge court shoes then she is in flat welly type boots
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

About the pacing

after the first viewing I wrote in the Movie Section
dunda wrote: I just thought the movie was a bit too long, it dragged a little in the middle. Or I wished they had included another action scene in bright daylight like the PTS in the middle.
So you would think I'm on the same page as May, but....

For me this movie got better and better with each viewing.
After the 3. or 4. time I fully enjoyed the "dragged" middle part.

Great scenes:
M's voiceover about "and what I see frightens me" and the blending in of Silva's face or her voiceover reciting Ulysses

"One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

while watching Daniel running fullforce to rescue M.

I think Mendes has done a fantastic job here and Deakin's captured it wonderfully!

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Littlesue wrote:I noticed a few flaws, the scene where Judy meets the new M for the first time, when she sits down she puts a large bag on the floor, when she stands up its not there but when she gets to the door its in her hand again :) also when they are in the house at the end in one scene she wears wedge court shoes then she is in flat welly type boots
Sue, there was a web site, that looks for this kind of continuity flaws. Its posted here somewhere...