Dan in Uniform !!! What took so long ?

The latest and oldest photos and videos of Daniel Craig. Don't be shy about contributing!

Moderator: Germangirl

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

This movie holds a special place in my heart. I know he is playing a horrible character, but this was the first time I laid eyes on him and he's haunted me ever since. So young, so confident, so talented. Bless him. Image
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Here's what caught my eye and captured my heart.

When he accompanies Colonel Bretyn to see Professor Marais, there is no introduction to who he is. My eyes did slide sideways to him because he "crackled". I can't explain it better than that. To me some actors "crackle" (it's purely a male thing). But at that point he was just a side-order to Colonel Bretyn and I was invested in what nastiness Marais had in store for poor PK.

The next couple of glimpses we get of him he is still just a cop trailing PK, but he manages to convey a growing sense of unease. There is something else about him other than a cop who is just doing his duty, there is an aura of malice in what he is doing that is conveyed with no words, just a very subtle expression in his eyes and playing around his mouth. I must have been a bit slow at that point, because having not read the book before seeing the film, I had not cottoned onto him actually being Botha as an adult.

The "money shot" came for me in the headmaster's office when that crackle grew to a sizzle. The turn of the head and the lop-sided and evil smirk when he sees that PK recognises his name and catches sight of the swastika tattoo on his arm. It is enough to register that this is the grown-up version of PK's childhood bully, and he means to do serious harm. This was a pivotal moment. If whoever was playing the adult Botha had not delivered on that one menacing look, then that particular strand of the story would have been weakened. As it turns out, Daniel delivered with such force that his strand of the story ended up, (imo) stealing the rest of the movie. (Up until that point, for me, the movie is owned by the fabulous Morgan Freeman)

Okay, at that point it could have been just an accident of the actor's looks; after all, who knew who that blond guy was? No way of knowing if he had just been blessed with a face capable of giving a wicked smirk or if he was acting wicked and doing it very well.

But then....the sizzle grew to a deafening roar. Daniel's first lines. He strutted into the boxing club, his gait showing violence tightly leashed, his voice blazing with hatred and vitriol, his eyes glaring menace and intent. I can still remember literally holding my breath waiting to see what he was going to do with all that anger pouring from every sinew. What came next was shocking and violent. When I analysed it afterwards, I could not help but wonder at how well he did that scene. He summed up Botha's lifetime of hatred and bigotry in a scene that lasted just 85 seconds. The others, all competent actors, were just satellites around his portrayal of madness as he took out Gideon's eye.

Starting with torching the boxing club and ending with his final death in the dirt at the hands of Gideon, what follows is Daniel's carefully disciplined enactment of rage pelting headlong into murderous revenge. It takes a good actor to make an audience believe in love, but it takes a great actor to make an audience believe in hate. It is an emotion which is so easy to over-play and make unbelievable. Who knows from where Daniel drew that depth and discipline so early in his career to allow him to give such a consummate portrayal of hatred.

With the beauty of hindsight, I have always thought that this was a good early role for Daniel. It allowed him to show something which I believe is his personal trademark, his control. He has an ability to tightly master everything about himself in front of the camera, his body, his voice, his face, his emotions. He is a joy to watch, especially in those roles where he truly flexes his acting muscles.

I think this is a much under-rated film anyway, the twin themes of hatred and racism on the one hand and human endurance and persistence on the other are more than adequately depicted. But the film was made for me by Daniel. His was only a smaller supporting role, but he stole the show. For me, he soared across that screen in a blaze of arrogant and confident glory. I do enjoy watching other actors, but there is only one Daniel Craig and for me, The Power of One was where it all started.

My favourite lines from the movie:
Marias: "Laws define right";
PK: "But do they always define justice"?
Sums up the whole movie!!
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

As always JEC, perfectly said.

for those who have not had the pleasure, Sgt. Botha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB582116 ... annel_page
Crazy!
BondBabe2008

Post by BondBabe2008 »

I can vaguely remember watching "Power of One" years ago but I'm trying to get it on DVD as I love it when Dan plays the nasty part in movies, he just TURNS ME ON :twisted: :twisted:
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Sorry for repeating, but its one of the best early pics I ever recall seeing..

The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Thelma wrote:
Thank you Thelma!! Bless you Image

The one in the peaked cap from Anglo Saxon Attitudes, I have only ever had as a small picture, about twice the size of the one in my sig.

It's spectacular in large size. Sigh........Image
Faustine

Post by Faustine »

OH MY dear Thelma, so gorgeous... Thanks a lot! :D
We convince ourselves that we know the other person well, but do we really know anything important about anyone.

6. Say what I’m thinking
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

This could be some sort of Before and After..

ImageImage
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

He was digging a pretty plump bottom lip as a puppy!
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Miss-Meow

Post by Miss-Meow »

Can't believe I've only just found this thread!

I adore men in uniform, but none more so than Dan in a uniform. Sword of Honour is a particular favourite :twisted:
"I shouldn't love you" ("Our Friends in the North") / "Fire up the Quattro!" (DCI Gene Hunt, "Ashes to Ashes")

yochan

Post by yochan »

Miss-Meow wrote:Can't believe I've only just found this thread!

I adore men in uniform, but none more so than Dan in a uniform. Sword of Honour is a particular favourite :twisted:
What a coincidence!
Last night I made a topic of Daniel in uniform in SOH on my blog.
http://peachboy-peachboy.blogspot.com/