Knives Out

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Re: Knives Out

Post by Germangirl »

Daniel and Ana have received Satellite Award nominations, and the 'Knives Out' cast have already been awarded the Ensemble Award.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Germangirl wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 pm Daniel and Ana have received Satellite Award nominations, and the 'Knives Out' cast have already been awarded the Ensemble Award.
Oh yes.....now I'm waiting for the snowball
You need to impress me, outwit me, compete with me? Go ahead, knock yourself out, I have no problem with that at all.
videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Just found this interesthing read...

Rian Johnson’s “Knives Out” (alternative title: “Families With Money Are The Fucking Worst”) - a nearly non-spoilery review

I was expecting many things from this movie, but what I was not expecting was to be so stunned by the performances given by Daniel Craig and Jamie Lee Curtis. JLC was nearly unrecognizable as Linda Drysdale, and that was accomplished almost entirely through her acting. She’s hard and severe and her voice is just…like stone. The cigarettes Linda chain-smokes must taste of bitterness and disappointment. Daniel Craig again reveals in himself a man who can do so much more than play the Scary Stoic Badass lead. His “famous detective” character, Benoit Blanc (dear lord that name), is both a subversion and eccentric epitome of the trope. You love him, you laugh at him, you want to wrap him in a blanket and hug him. He’s sweet. I never, ever thought I’d say that about any character played by Daniel Craig.

And I don’t usually think much of Don Johnson’s talents but Rian Johnson even got a great chunk of acting out of him (nuff said really). I wish Riki Lindhome had been given more to do here other than drink martinis because she’s amazing and funny, but I guess that’s what they have deleted scenes for.

On the more expected side of things, Chris Evans looks overjoyed and excited to be able to play someone as deeply flawed and morally questionable as Ransom. He’s still hot and magnetic af, of course. Christopher Plummer as Harlan Thrombey: oh my god how I love thee, let me count the ways. Always an exquisitely perfect performance from this charming man. Toni Colette plays Joni and is just so very Toni Colette here: she’s a woman trying to maintain her image as an attractive forty-something who’s a successful entrepreneur while also being very shallow and California Goop-y…and completely failing at it. You don’t even buy her air-headed, glued-to-her-social-media act. She just feels ravenously desperate.

Michael Shannon plays Walt Thrombey who is just awful…awful and pitiable. He needs so much and deserves so little, but it feels like his role as leech in life might not be entirely of his own making. He’s been crushed beneath his father’s talent and fame.

There’s two teen characters who dont have much to do but still stand out. Jacob Thrombey (Jaeden Lieberher) is memorable for being an alt-right troll character who actually almost never says a thing during the whole movie. He spouts no toxic opinions that we can hear, but his silent, angry fixation on his phone screen speaks volumes. Meg Thrombey (Katherine Langford) on the other hand talks a lot and unfortunately has other things in common with her mom, Joni. It’s hard to say how much of her is actually herself and how much is what her family expects her to be.

Ana de Armas memorably played the holographic AI Joi in Bladerunner 2049, but this feels like her breakout role here. Marta is the heart and soul of the film and the piece of driftwood we cling to in this stormy sea of familial acrimony and resentment. So much of the empathy in the film comes from the focus on her amazing, emotional eyes.

Harlan’s all-too-appropriate, mystery writer home is a perfect blend of the sets from Sleuth (Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine, 1973) and Deathtrap (Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve, 1982), filled with creepy animated figures and both real and costume weaponry, all of which ironically becomes beside the point…almost. But honestly, the house is a character in itself and deserves an Oscar for Best Production Design.

An ironic twist of the narrative turns the mystery into a darkly humorous portrait of a very unhappy group of people whose main problem is that they can’t escape each other’s horrible presence. The movie is suspenseful and funny while maintaining a surprising vein of deep sadness in its center. It’s a love letter to sleuth stories that transforms into a tragicomedy of sorts, and the take away moral to the tale seems to be “the best way to survive is to not be a shitty person”.

I give an A rating to this fun, surprising little gem.
You need to impress me, outwit me, compete with me? Go ahead, knock yourself out, I have no problem with that at all.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Interesting indeed. Yesterday I saw the trailer in a German cinema and the dubbing takes away a bit offthe fun of Blanc. Bit what can you do? Let him speak Bavarian? :twisted:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Germangirl wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:27 pm Interesting indeed. Yesterday I saw the trailer in a German cinema and the dubbing takes away a bit offthe fun of Blanc. Bit what can you do? Let him speak Bavarian? :twisted:
Oh, Huh hopefully in Bulgaria only childrens movies are dubbed. Do you wanna see the Bond trailer in Russian?!?!?! It is quite fun.. If you want click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOTm0FPJyt0 I inderstand, but cant speak properly...And they changed the dialogue a bit....
videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Daniel_Craig

Post by Daniel_Craig »

THX for the videos, videnovasan! ;) :D
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

So its between Daniel and Leo. How come R Johnson hasnt gotten a nomination for director and best screenplay

videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Don't know how, but I'm glad that he received this one.
videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Dunda wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:49 pm Thanks to A

Finally!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... -coverage/
This made my day....it was quite s****, but now I feel better...
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Germangirl wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:06 pm So its between Daniel and Leo. How come R Johnson hasnt gotten a nomination for director and best screenplay
I wouldn't put Taron Egerton out of the race.
He was really great as Elton John and I liked Rocketman very much.

I think he was way better than Leo in One upon a Time in Hollywood

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Dunda wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:51 pm
Germangirl wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:06 pm So its between Daniel and Leo. How come R Johnson hasnt gotten a nomination for director and best screenplay
I wouldn't put Taron Egerton out of the race.
He was really great as Elton John and I liked Rocketman very much.

I think he was way better than Leo in One upon a Time in Hollywood
I think there is a reason why Johnson isn't nominated and it is because if it wasn't Daniel the movie wouldn't get made...and also maybe he got the Academy Awards nomination...
Daniel_Craig

Post by Daniel_Craig »

Finally!

Wow!
videnovasan

Post by videnovasan »

Daniel_Craig wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Finally!

Wow!
Wow indeed. I really looking forward to see the movie...can't wait until 3rd of January....oh....2 days before the Golden Globes......there will be hype....