Betrayal - member and critics reviews.

This is the place to discuss all of Mr. Craig's work on stage.

Moderator: Germangirl

Alina

Post by Alina »

purple wrote:Well Alina that is one addiction I don't want to get rid of :D ever.
That's exactly how I feel! The only addiction one can enjoy without any remorse and it's so delightful and wholesome :) And beautiful.
purple wrote:to Emma Robert was too domineering, too brutal maybe. Jerry was somehow softer, less menacing.
Oh, I'd die to see that! :drool:

purple

Post by purple »

Alina honestly I was not trying to sound as if it was smth attractive in that :)
Last edited by purple on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purple

Post by purple »

Elaine_Figgis wrote:
From a NYC theater based talk show called Theater Talk. I think this is the link for the correct show.
http://www.theatertalk.org/fall-2013-season-preview/
Thank you Elaine I have just watched it. THIS is exactly what I was talking about!!! That patronising attitude! God! Such a...holes!!!!!!

Talking about Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen (I saw them No man's land - loved it!) and saying "yes but these are real actors!" - obviously as opposed to DC who is not a real actor

So unfair!
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
How could they ever think Daniel Craig is anything but a superbly talented and insightful actor, one of the best of his generation? Have they ever actually watched anything he's done, apart from maybe Tomb Raider?!
Even if they're snobbish about Bond, they should look again - his performance is flawless. It's impossible to tell that he's acting - isn't that the sign that he's doing a perfect job?
These people make me furious :jumpfire:
purple

Post by purple »

I know, my point exactly. Their only excuse is if they only saw Tomb Rider and I don't know maybe Cowboys and Aliens. As Bond he is superb.

And the rest of his work is flawless and so diverse! That is why I called them snobbish a...holes! :evil:
Alina

Post by Alina »

purple wrote:Alina honestly I was not trying to sound as if it was smth attracting in that :)
Don't worry, it's ME :) Just reading that gave me shivers. :)

And the rubbish above is not even worth reposting......(I mean the LINK, ofc)
CockH - you are absolutely right! He's a tremendously gifted ACTOR, classically trained, and if one knows him only from Bond, they should still appreciate his acting in it: well-balanced, edgy, badass, tough, sensitive, vulnerable, witty and bloody MANLY - the toughest and the manliest of them all. And on screen it looks as if it didn't cost him much effort. He's so natural, like he was born Bond. And he's like that in EVERY role - a true chamleon, so let those stuck-up assholes get stuffed!

Another thing - if those assholes didn't see him in any other roles, they should shut up and not give opinions. :evil:
purple

Post by purple »

Alina I completely agree with EVERY SINGLE WORD you said. I do not understand why people sneer at him for Bond (whereas everyone praises Connery for Bond) - as far as I am concerned I am very glad he took the part. This is how I discovered an immensely gifted actor and some wonderful British movies.
Alina

Post by Alina »

purple wrote:Alina I completely agree with EVERY SINGLE WORD you said. I do not understand why people sneer at him for Bond (whereas everyone praises Connery for Bond) - as far as I am concerned I am very glad he took the part. This is how I discovered an immensely gifted actor and some wonderful British movies.
Good for him and for you :) I was not really fond of Bond movies before Daniel took over. I saw a few of them, but without much enthusiasm. However, I watched all Daniel's Bonds a dozen times :) And I absolutely LOVE them and adore Daniel as Bond. He's so sexy :) And he was meant to be. He was meant to appeal not to just male audience, but to women and gay people. And it apparently worked. I'll post a link to an article about it in the CR thread, because here I'm making a big OT :)
purple

Post by purple »

OMG that is exactly how I feel about Bond too, Alina! :D I made a short comment about that on the Bond 24 thread and I was actually wondering where I could talk some more about ALL of his 3 Bond movies...
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Thank you purple, I really enjoyed reading your review of 'Betrayal'.
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

purple wrote:OMG that is exactly how I feel about Bond too, Alina! :D I made a short comment about that on the Bond 24 thread and I was actually wondering where I could talk some more about ALL of his 3 Bond movies...
Talk as much as you like - we'll be happy to join in! They've each got their own topic in the Movie Roles thread :D
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Great review, Purple! The audience's laughing made me uncomfortable, too. I was perplexed how people could so easily laugh. There were some humorous moments, but never was it laugh-out-loud funny (except maybe when Jerry was straddling Robert/Daniel on the bed in the final scene.) The laughing made me uncomfortable for the actors. If I recall, the real laughing was more during the early scenes of the play and people settled down later. The distracting audience moment that bothered me the most was one show where two ladies behind us had to comment every time a cigarette was lit on stage, which was often. You'd think they were being murdered by poisonous gas and would never make it outside the theater alive. No one hates cigarette smoke more than I, but I realize that I'm a big girl watching an adult play that takes place in the 60s-70s, that talking during a performance is incredibly rude, and that I, like them, used to live in a world where people smoked all around us. I think we could all get through this 90-minute play without making a big deal out of nothing. Besides, my friend said they weren't real cigarettes with tobacco. He claims to know about various cigarettes; I don't. I never smelled tobacco. I would have sworn I smelled pot, but I know they couldn't have actually been smoking that. I do wonder about the alcohol. How much, if any, was real?
purple

Post by purple »

You are welcome Cassandra!

Sf2la - when I was in NY I went to see two other plays: No man's land and The Glass menagerie. The audience laughed in the same way which I found very disturbing. There were moments during the No man's land performance when I could not hear the lines because of the laughter.

All I could think was how can the actors still focus on stage when they see this reaction and they know those lines ARE NOT SUPPOSED to be laughed at in that way?

As for those comments - my God that was rude! but I loved the way you put it, with the poisonous gas :lol: I have never thought about the alcohol part but now that you have mentioned it - probably it was tea or herbal tea or apple juice or smth. I know there were days when they had two performances, I do not think they could have drunk that much wine/scotch and still be able to stand and deliver their lines.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Purple, you look lovely :D
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

purple

Post by purple »

Why, thank you! :oops: :D