the fidgeting thread

The latest and oldest photos and videos of Daniel Craig. Don't be shy about contributing!

Moderator: Germangirl

Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Dunda wrote:But to be earnest, I think it's only a habbit when he's a bit nervous.
I guess so too. In ethology, the scientific term for that is 'displacement activity'. I'd do it all the time if I were being interviewed :lol:
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Anglophile wrote:I guess so too. In ethology, the scientific term for that is 'displacement activity'. I'd do it all the time if I were being interviewed :lol:
'displacement activity'? I never have heard this term and looked into the dictionary. There I found the following:

'displacement activity' [psych.] animal behaviour :?: :-k
:lol:

I know that one of his old flames (Marina Pepper ) told every reporter she gets to know that she has had a on/off-relationship lasting for some months and that he was an animal in bed.
I'm sure she doesn't mean that in this coherence (that he's scratcing :lol: :lol:)

But serious:

After that I looked into a gestic-lexicon and found the explanation.
Thanks Anglophile for that vocabulary enlargement
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

"Übersprungshandlung" :wink:
It's a behaviour not only animals have. When animals are put in a situation where they don't know what to do, they get stressed out and often start doing things that seem totally out of place and apparently make no sense at all. Most people do funny little things like fidgeting or scratching themselves when they are self-conscious or embarrassed. It's the same behavioral pattern.
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

Anglophile wrote:"Übersprungshandlung" :wink:
It's a behaviour not only animals have. When animals are put in a situation where they don't know what to do, they get stressed out and often start doing things that seem totally out of place and apparently make no sense at all. Most people do funny little things like fidgeting or scratching themselves when they are self-conscious or embarrassed. It's the same behavioral pattern.
Example: Mice when they are nervous wash their faces.
jen0107

Post by jen0107 »

Cyanaurora wrote: Example: Mice when they are nervous wash their faces.
Awwwww!
That is so darn cute!
When I'm having a sort of 1:1 conversation, and Im standing quite close to that person, I tend to play with my earrings ie. the backs of the earrings
Or I touch my neck :oops:
Daniel Craig IS the cause of Global Warming!

"I'm just glad I didn't fall off"
Daniel in 'Becoming Bond'
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

jen0107 wrote:
Cyanaurora wrote: Example: Mice when they are nervous wash their faces.
Awwwww!
That is so darn cute!
When I'm having a sort of 1:1 conversation, and Im standing quite close to that person, I tend to play with my earrings ie. the backs of the earrings
Or I touch my neck :oops:
Exactly! And yes, most animals tend to wash themselves when they're at a loss. Funny isn't it? :lol:
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

Anglophile wrote: Exactly! And yes, most animals tend to wash themselves when they're at a loss. Funny isn't it? :lol:
I guess when nervous it is best to be clean! Actually it is a self comforting act. Brings back the feeling of the mother grooming them. Especially cute when you think of Dan's Mum washing his face and neck.
sharmaine

Post by sharmaine »

Very interesting deduction to this based on animal behaviour. I like the concept that you are soothing yourself as your mother would be soothing you. Thanks Anglo for provoking some thought and expanding our vocab.
007cheese

Post by 007cheese »

I've always thought his little scratchin thing in interviews was so cute, especially when he just uses his pinkie finger. I don't know why that appeals so much. I do know that I've been attempting to start doing that instead of scratching my neck and shoulder, as that's much less becoming.
"Who are you? Where am I? What the hell is this place?!"
agrippina

Post by agrippina »

I remember reading Desmond Morris back in the 80's about body language :wink: A bit has happened in the field after that I'm sure, but I remember some bits like crossing your arms and legs is a protective gesture. Men often touch their cufflinks when entering a new space or in other kinds of distress moments. Women tend to fiddle with their hair when talking to attractive men (if my fingers weren't doing all the talking, I'd be doing just that looking at all the photos!). When you sit next to someone and you are chatting comfortably, you tend to take take same positions - sometimes even mirror ones sort of to close others outside the circle of two (eg crossing legs with toes pointing towards each other). Check out yourselves - and deliberately change your position to see if your friend does the same!

I remember at least one interview vid where Daniel was not fidgeting as much as usual until he was asked about the craignotbond-contoversy and he immediately started to fiddle with with cufflinks... I have not seen him change sitting position or anything dramatic when the potentially unpleasant issues come up, but sometimes it looks as if he starts to move a bit more. Could also be just my interpretation :lol:

Agrippina
bond_girl 69

Post by bond_girl 69 »

I'm at my fidgeting best ( or should I say worst ) when I'm waiting somewhere.......check-out line at the supermarket, the post-office, that sort of thing. That just drives me crazy and is my least favourite of the activities of daily life.

I know the pics from that animation are already in the thread. I used them to practice how to do animations and I thought you might like the result. Hope you don't find it boring as the pics are already in this thread.

Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

agrippina wrote:I remember at least one interview vid where Daniel was not fidgeting as much as usual until he was asked about the craignotbond-contoversy and he immediately started to fiddle with with cufflinks... I have not seen him change sitting position or anything dramatic when the potentially unpleasant issues come up, but sometimes it looks as if he starts to move a bit more. Could also be just my interpretation :lol:
No I don't think it's just you, I noticed that too! He's only human :lol:
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

bond_girl 69 wrote:Image
Bingo! Lots of displacement behaviour to study there! :D
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Anglophile wrote:
bond_girl 69 wrote: Bingo! Lots of displacement behaviour to study there! :D
The whole interview is a real treat Image
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

Anybody know what kind of watch that is in the Layer cake shots? It's pre Bond, but it looks like a nice one.