hat contest

The latest and oldest photos and videos of Daniel Craig. Don't be shy about contributing!

Moderator: Germangirl

Anesidora

Post by Anesidora »

Agrippina, I am with you about the coffee issue. Difficult to make at home a decent cappuccino, difficult to find good coffee out of Italy, and I would add Spain :wink: .

IMO Starbucks is fine. What I like most is that when you are abroad for a long time and tired of being out of home is a familiar place to go and taste known flavours. A bit like McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC... But on the other hand it is a bit sad how uniformity arrives to every country.

About the environmental thing, maybe he goes to get not only the coffee but also (and mainly) the newspapers. I guess he is not subscribed because he has to travel a lot and has to go to the newsagent to buy the newspapers. And maybe he uses the car to get a little more of privacy from the paparazzis. Just my guess.
agrippina

Post by agrippina »

Anesidora, the coffee plight is dreadful :wink: But at least in Spain you can get fairly good normal coffee? At least, the stuff I've gotten to drink visiting Spain has been good! Can't say the same of Finnish coffee...

He could get a less conspicuous car, maybe? Having a big clumsy SUV as a town car is incomprehensible to my mind anyway!

Agrippina
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

agrippina wrote:Anesidora, the coffee plight is dreadful :wink: But at least in Spain you can get fairly good normal coffee? At least, the stuff I've gotten to drink visiting Spain has been good! Can't say the same of Finnish coffee...

He could get a less conspicuous car, maybe? Having a big clumsy SUV as a town car is incomprehensible to my mind anyway!

Agrippina
I think his car says "I have arrived!"
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Cyanaurora wrote:
I think his car says "I have arrived!"
Considering how he raved about the Aston, he seems to have a real big man crush on cars and just cannot help it. Like - I don´t let anything like polution or a crowded city get into the manner I choose my cars. :? :wink:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Anesidora

Post by Anesidora »

I bet he cannot help it as Germangirl said. Many people are ambivalent about this car issue. On one hand this type of thinking: I understand all the rational arguments, and when choosing a car I take into consideration what type of car I need, petrol consumption, safety, comfort, etc. But on the other hand there is also something passional in the decission. There are emotional factors: the beauty of the car itself (some are arty pieces of engineering and design, as he commented about the DBS), source of adrenaline and pleasure (feeling that powerful machine in your hands), conscious or unconscious wish to show-off (he always felt a bit of a geek), etc ... Inmature? maybe ...but I am guilty too :oops:
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Germangirl wrote:Considering how he raved about the Aston, he seems to have a real big man crush on cars and just cannot help it.
Boys will be boys I guess. :roll: It kinda bugs me though. He should know better.

Agrippina, just out of curiosity, may I ask how you make coffee? I once knew a very lovely Finnish girl who showed me a way of doing it that I'd never seen before, and I think she said that's how they do it up there. She had that little plastic container with a sort of plunger in it. She just put some coffee powder in it, poured hot water over it and then pushed the plunger down so that the coffee powder was pressed onto the bottom of the container, and that was it. :shock: No filter and all. I actually liked it a lot, it tasted a bit milder than your usual coffee but not weaker. Then again, I don't know if the coffee she used was bought in Finland or in Germany, LOL :lol:
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
marsbean_mrsfishy

Post by marsbean_mrsfishy »

what you're describing we have here in uk- we call it a cafetiere. it's a great, very easy way to make everyday coffee, but prob not the ideal of the purists (agrippina will let us know). it tastes ok, largely due to the type of coffee you use. but it's all big and watery, not the same as having a proper espresso-based drink.
'This blond, good looking man with the Ocean-eyes'
- Redluna
Anesidora

Post by Anesidora »

marsbean_mrsfishy wrote:what you're describing we have here in uk- we call it a cafetiere. it's a great, very easy way to make everyday coffee, but prob not the ideal of the purists (agrippina will let us know). it tastes ok, largely due to the type of coffee you use. but it's all big and watery, not the same as having a proper espresso-based drink.
We also have that type of coffee maker in Spain but IMO the expresso is way better than this.
Loofah

Post by Loofah »

Germangirl wrote: Considering how he raved about the Aston, he seems to have a real big man crush on cars
:lol: "man crush" -- I love it! I have to borrow that expression! :lol:
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

Anglophile wrote:
Mahalo4DC wrote:I have a thing for cowboys and daniel in a cowboy hat is yummy so my vote goes for that one.
Count me in girls :wink:
I definitely have a thing for cowboys and if daniel wore a cowboy hat I would just melt!
marsbean_mrsfishy

just for you, Jenna.

- Redluna
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

Thank you i would have sent u a PM but i`m 2 busy melting.
agrippina

Post by agrippina »

Anglophile wrote:Agrippina, just out of curiosity, may I ask how you make coffee?
Well, the way you described it would be the way if I did "normal" coffee... I think it has been introduced here as a Danish invention maybe in the 1980's and preferably there is a filter in the plunger, because otherwise you get all the grounds in your coffee. The plunger makes great coffee, strong, but softer than a usual coffee maker, particularly if you use a darker roast, sort of French style :wink: The Spanish blend would be very good, too, I would imagine! I have been thinking of buying one of those, because every now and then I get guests who don't like Italian coffee, but haven't gotten around doing it yet. Finns prefer their coffee much stronger than Americans, but still it is a bit too light and weak for my mouth :wink:

I usually, then, drink Italian coffee, espresso, although I use the classic aluminium nut-shaped moka or caffettiere and that coffee is not technically espresso, but coffee nevertheless... I once ventured into some true coffee geek website, where the guys (and maybe not surprisingly they seemed to be all men!!) were talking about pressures in their top-of-the-line espresso makers and how to use their roasters and grinders to perfection. I felt very humble after that excursion :shock: The problem is finding tolerable coffee powder and then I guess, the water could also come from the Apennines instead of lake Päijänne...

After this lengthy excursion again to the world of coffee, I think I'll go and make me a coffee :wink: I think I ought to contribute a hat as well, but can't find any that have not been posted yet :(

Btw if I could buy almost any car in the world, I would possibly go for a Chrysler Cruiser which is one of those not very ecological ones :oops: It just looks so darn good!

Agrippina
marsbean_mrsfishy

Jenna wrote:Thank you i would have sent u a PM but i`m 2 busy melting.
LOL! :lol:

and Agrippina, you truly are a coffee connoiseur, i think- those guys comparing roaster sizes etc are just guys doing what guys do!
- Redluna
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Wow, thanks, that was enlightening! :o
Excuse me while I go make a cuppa...
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~