Orbis Through Their Eyes

The latest and oldest photos and videos of Daniel Craig. Don't be shy about contributing!

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

She could as well rename herself, because we will go on calling her Shirley. Sorry Sylvia :twisted:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

From German article - translated

007 Daniel Craig in the fight against blindness

James Bond actor Daniel Craig in his new mission, it is not just about "Quantum of Solace". The Brit makes himself actively for the work of ophthalmologists with their flying hospital. From Martyn Palmer

His mission as Bond chasing criminals around the world. To travel as ambassadors to the world and fight against blindness in children due to cataract: its mission as a human being.

On his trip to the capital of Mongolia, Ulan Bator, Daniel Craig visited the local airport the "Flying Eye Hospital," the charity Orbis, a converted DC-10 with a fully equipped operating room and conference room - a device that quite out of the workshop could come from bond-Q inventor.

Younger patients had no idea that the man with intense blue eyes, one of the most famous actor in the world. Craig was just right. "Eventually, the team said, 'Maybe we should show a Bond movie ...', and I was like, 'I think we can ...'" he says, laughing.

BBC News: How did it come into contact with Orbis International?

Daniel Craig: I've sat down with the men of Omega looking for a charity, we want to be helpful. One of the charities, which suggested the Swiss had, Orbis. And yes, I had heard of them, from their prodigious project of the "Flying Eye Hospital". It sounded great, a simple but brilliant idea: It sends eye surgeons located in areas where their help is needed urgently, especially children. The doctors perform mainly through cataract surgeries, and give people their sight back.

Research
Ocular implant can the blind see again Western
Craig and Ford are "Cowboys and Aliens" before BBC News: The commitment is also about the training of local doctors so that they can later carry out operations themselves ...

Craig: ... yes, with eyes can not make money. Therefore, very few medical students want to be ophthalmologists.

BBC News: No prestige profession, such as heart or neurosurgery ...

Craig: ... or plastic surgery. There is no specialization that allows users to earn lot of money. During my visit to Ulan Bator, I witnessed how, the daughter of the chief eye surgeon taught the method of operation. I sat there and been watching for her first eye surgery. Well, I have confessed and given me trouble, not to tip over. (Laughs.)

BBC News: How was it for you as an observer?

Craig: One of the surgeons in the "Flying Eye Hospital" who performed the operation once, showed her what she needs to do and explained everything. Then he gave her a scalpel ado about given that it takes over the next surgery. Everyone was nervous, there is this little child is the same surgery on the eye, and all hope that things go well. The woman has finally made ​​it great.

BBC News: How do you imagine this flying hospital?

Craig: The clinic is a DC-10, which will soon be retired, the oldest still flying machine of its kind, was a Testjet, who had been flown much, and was left to Orbis. The interior is set up a complete operating room and a seminar room, all with sufficient power supply, which is operated with the fuel of the aircraft. This means that the work of the doctors do not depend on the local energy supply. This is very important because they fly to and back to places and situations that are not easily overcome.

There is also an air conditioner and an air filter so that the operating room clinically clean air rules. The whole crew is waiting on the airfield next to the airplane - used to organize and coordinate a means quite a lot of effort. Great, I find that the FedEx team has just completed a brand new MD-10 donated from its fleet. This orb will be able to cover greater distances without having to refuel in remote places have.

BBC News: your first impressions when you went on board?

Craig: When we went up the steps, you can see on the left a conference room where about 40 people can participate in medical training. If necessary, you could probably squeeze in as still more people. In the room there is a canvas for drawing down, can be followed live on the operations. Right of the machine is set up a waiting room, where families sit with their children. Some are waiting for a second operation, it will not be operated on both eyes at once, so the patient can still walk off the plane. There is also a simulator for the machine that use the surgeon during the operation.

We speak here of microsurgery, it is therefore a tiny incisions, and that needs to be practiced. Then it goes on through the plane, on a glass partition by in the operating room. I'm gone, my arms and hands had washed, put on my George Clooney's uniform and pretended I was the surgeon. (Laughs.) I was told: "If you are weak, lean against the wall, so you do not pop to the front. " That was ... a good tip!

BBC News: If you become as dull?

Craig: No, not really. But you never know beforehand how you will feel. For me it was absolutely fascinating to experience the skill of the surgeons at close range. This must be thought of like this: On the edge of the eye, a small incision is made. Then a small device is used, in principle, a kind of tiny drill bits. Thus, the natural lens, which is actually a fluid-filled sacs on the eye, mashed and then sucked, because sitting there the cataract and the scarred tissue.

That sounds worse than it is because the procedure is so small. Then, set up a new, artificial lens. So it is in place, the eye being tested and measured. A very precise procedure, which restores normal vision, unbelievable.

BBC News: Is the patient awake during surgery?

Craig: No, they sleep, general anesthesia. There was a very likeable man, an anesthesiologist from the "Great Ormond Street" children's hospital in London. These guys give up their holidays, jump on a plane and fly to Mongolia or Vietnam or somewhere else and work with these children. You are so kind to her patients, many of them almost more babies, you know! The little ones are on the table, and then goes in the needle. The parents can not go in the doctors and they told me that it would be too much for them, and I can fully understand. The parents are sitting in the waiting room, the anesthesiologist places the child to sleep. They are then gone, really gone.

This is quite disturbing to see, because life seems to disappear from the body. But the ads you see on the monitors and I know that everything is in order. Then the surgeon operates, then takes care of the anesthesiologist again, a little dazed child wakes up - and soon it runs with restored vision through the area. That's cool, right?

World Online , your visit to the clinic you very moved?

Craig: I have the greatest respect for the whole team. There are very special people who do just do what is right. You do not do the job for personal gain, but because they want to give people something and because their work represents a profound change for the lives of these children.

BBC News: How the team responds to your visit?

Craig: Well, it was great to be there. And I love to be led around on airplanes, which is always exciting. I was allowed to sit on the chair of the captain! (Laughs.) It was good that the doctors knew who I am, so I could easily get in touch. But I do not advertise for myself, my interest in the whole is very low.

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article1 ... dheit.html
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

^ Oh, what a beautiful interview! So touching. Nice photos, too. Thanks for posting, SG!
SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

Daniel speaks with such informed kindness about those people who save the children's sight. It makes me wonder if he could have ever been a doctor or surgeon if the acting had not worked out? Our loss. NHS's gain.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

sf2la wrote:^ Oh, what a beautiful interview! So touching. Nice photos, too. Thanks for posting, SG!
..and its a good paper posting it.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

thanks SG, great pics of daniel in surgeons clothing. nice interview too :wink:
Daniel_Craig

Post by Daniel_Craig »

Last edited by Daniel_Craig on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Here it is in full. :D
Hopefully a better quality version will surface over the next few months.

LJgiftness Special:ORBIS & Daniel Craig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCTZ6uf4biA
bubita

Post by bubita »

Sylvia's girl wrote:Here it is in full. :D

Thanks so much SG!!!, I wasn´t able to find it.
Waiting for the download :brood:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

10 genius points for you, Sylvia. Thanks...

khenton

Post by khenton »

Thanks SG :wink: k
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."
caramel

Post by caramel »

Sylvia's girl wrote:Here it is in full. :D

Just started watching it and the voice itself is enough :thud:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Its really, really a great documentary. Thanks so much for finding it.

caramel

Post by caramel »

I am like this Image watching him and listening to his voice, forget about focusing on the educational aspects of it in the first pass :lol:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Its great, because we have the rare chance to watching Daniel, as he is for more then just seconds.