DTD has just reported that Daniel is to play Steve McQueen

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

User avatar
Loofah
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:26 am

Post by Loofah » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:50 am

Marisa wrote:And it would probably be right up DC's alley since SM was a tortured soul, just the kind of challenge DC enjoys.
Indeed McQueen was a miserable fellow and all the success and money and toys and women never filled the void he felt from having been abandoned as a child. I'm reading a biography of him now and he packed a lot of drama and living into 50 short years. In the right hands it could be a really compelling film. I hope it gets a high-class treatment like "Walk the Line" or "Ray" and not a superficial movie-of-the-week cheat. (Though I doubt Daniel would attach himself to a low-quality project.)

McQueen could be a major MAJOR jerk, not to mention a chauvinist, a cokehead, a womanizer and a cheapskate. But he also quietly did a lot of generous things that weren't discovered until after his death. There is something so incredibly sad about his hard-scrabble background and the fact that he never recovered from it emotionally.

That he managed to become the biggest (and most highly paid) superstar of his generation rather than a criminal or other type of failure speaks strongly of his grit and talent.

I can't imagine anyone EXCEPT Daniel playing him.
Image

User avatar
Marisa
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Post by Marisa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:02 am

Loofah wrote: (Though I doubt Daniel would attach himself to a low-quality project.)
I agree, not at this point in his career.
Loofah wrote: I can't imagine anyone EXCEPT Daniel playing him.
Same, here. And like you said, in the right hands, it could be a great movie. In the rights hands it could potentially be the rol of DC's life, since he is so suited for the role. SM was all those things you mentioned, but he was also extremely talented and charismatic. I love watching his movies. When he was in a scene he stole the camera, sometines whithout even saying a word. Sad that because of his own demons, he never truly enjoyed his success.
~Marisa

Image

Yes, considerably

User avatar
Loofah
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:26 am

Post by Loofah » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:16 am

Marisa wrote:
Loofah wrote:I agree, not at this point in his career.
Particularly after what he's done for the Bond franchise, he's pretty well got pick of the litter. 8)
Marisa wrote:SM was all those things you mentioned, but he was also extremely talented and charismatic. I love watching his movies. When he was in a scene he stole the camera, sometines whithout even saying a word.
Totally agree with you there. He had that indefinable "it" that absolutely draws your eye to him no matter how small or throwaway the scene or film. This evening I watched "Tom Horn," which was one of his lesser films yet whenever he's on screen he's truly magnetic.

McQueen always said he was a reactor rather than an actor. I understand from his bio that he shied away from dialogue because he was not only dyslexic but hard of hearing, thanks to untreated childhood infections. It left him insecure about his ability to read and memorize lines so he actually asked directors to pare down his dialogue. Yet he could do more with a look or gesture than most actors can do with pages and pages of words. You're right -- he stole scenes often without uttering a single syllable.
Sad that because of his own demons, he never truly enjoyed his success.
Very sad. And also sad that he died so young.

And it's nice to find another McQueen fan here! :D
Image

User avatar
Marisa
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Post by Marisa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:13 am

Loofah wrote: McQueen always said he was a reactor rather than an actor. I understand from his bio that he shied away from dialogue because he was not only dyslexic but hard of hearing, thanks to untreated childhood infections. It left him insecure about his ability to read and memorize lines so he actually asked directors to pare down his dialogue. Yet he could do more with a look or gesture than most actors can do with pages and pages of words. You're right -- he stole scenes often without uttering a single syllable.
I have not read his bio, but TMC had a marvelous documentary of his life, and they talked about all those things you mention. He had a very mischievous side to him, and sometimes he set out to steal the scene leaving his sometimes more-famous co-stars more than a bit angry.
Loofah wrote:And it's nice to find another McQueen fan here! :D
Same here! :D Too bad they didn't have PCs in those days and fansites. He would have had his own site, no doubt! I think it was that "bad boy" side that made him so irresistible to women?

Every time I see a close up, I just want to kiss him! I remember my mother having a huge crush on him! She used to take me with her to see his movies, I was in my early teens. I remember how she dreamily talked about his attractiveness and what a good actor he was. My father never minded one bit. She was funny. Not unlike myself now with Daniel! :lol:
~Marisa

Image

Yes, considerably

louiethedog
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:10 pm
Location: pennines, UK

Post by louiethedog » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:29 am

I am not allowed many pictures on my study walls, as my partner is of a jealous persuasion - however, I have managed to get away wih a calendar of Daniel and a shot I printed out of SM in Junior Bonner. (apparently ok to have as SM is cool). The shot I have - and the picture of Daniel for April do show their likeness, in this case the ability to light up a room with their smiles.

User avatar
Marisa
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Post by Marisa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 pm

louiethedog wrote:I am not allowed many pictures on my study walls, as my partner is of a jealous persuasion - however, I have managed to get away wih a calendar of Daniel and a shot I printed out of SM in Junior Bonner. (apparently ok to have as SM is cool). The shot I have - and the picture of Daniel for April do show their likeness, in this case the ability to light up a room with their smiles.
You got my attention, girl. Calendar of Daniel? I don't suppose is available in the US since I have not heard about it. Got to look into it! Where did you get the photo of SM? On the web?
~Marisa

Image

Yes, considerably

User avatar
Renske
Posts: 1329
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:23 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by Renske » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:18 pm

I bought 2 Daniel calendars on Amazon.co.uk. Think they're out of stock now though....

User avatar
Loofah
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:26 am

Post by Loofah » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:47 pm

Marisa wrote:I have not read his bio, but TMC had a marvelous documentary of his life
Was that by chance the "Essence of Cool" documentary that was included as an extra on the special edition "Bullitt" DVD? Otherwise, I haven't seen it and I'd like to!
He had a very mischievous side to him, and sometimes he set out to steal the scene leaving his sometimes more-famous co-stars more than a bit angry.
Yeah, I understand Yul Brynner was no fan of his, as he stole "The Magnificent Seven" right out from under the star. :lol:
Marisa wrote:I think it was that "bad boy" side that made him so irresistible to women?
Oh yeah, baby. Oh yeah. :twisted:
I remember my mother having a huge crush on him! She used to take me with her to see his movies, I was in my early teens. I remember how she dreamily talked about his attractiveness and what a good actor he was.
That's awesome, and your mom is correct on all counts. My mother is more of a Paul Newman girl, and I'm a huge fan of his as well. He's 82 and still more handsome and charismatic than most men a third his age.

I'm not sure where McQueen ranks with her, but I know my dad is a fan of a lot of his films, as is my husband.

And louiethedog? It is beyond awesome that you have a photo of McQueen as Junior Bonner! 8)
Image

User avatar
Marisa
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Post by Marisa » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:07 am

Loofah wrote:Was that by chance the "Essence of Cool" documentary that was included as an extra on the special edition "Bullitt" DVD? Otherwise, I haven't seen it and I'd like to!
I am not sure, but I think it is titled "The King of Cool." I have a feeling is the same one. Many people that were close to him in one capacity or another were interviewed for that documentary. TMC also has Man on the Edge and Steve Mcqueen:True Hollywood Story, they are both SM biographies.
Loofah wrote:Yeah, I understand Yul Brynner was no fan of his, as he stole "The Magnificent Seven" right out from under the star. :lol:
Yesss! That was funny! He was a clever man. You know, I was thinking about something else DC has in common with SM. When SM was asked to do The Thomas Crown Affair, many didn't believe he could pull that role because the was not "suave" and "sophisticated" enough, and he met with some opposition. But he proved all those people wrong. Just like Daniel!

What is the name of that movie he did with Natalie Wood in the early sixties? (I am bad with names) I love that movie. He looks so yummy!

NOTE: I just checked TMC for you to see if they have those bios availabe for sale but didn't find them. I sent them an email, hopefully they'll respond. I'll let you know.

:)
~Marisa

Image

Yes, considerably

User avatar
Loofah
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:26 am

Post by Loofah » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:46 am

Marisa wrote:I am not sure, but I think it is titled "The King of Cool." I have a feeling is the same one. Many people that were close to him in one capacity or another were interviewed for that documentary. TMC also has Man on the Edge and Steve Mcqueen:True Hollywood Story, they are both SM biographies.
I'd love to see the E! True Hollywood Story on him as they are always so dishy. The Biography Channel is going to air its bio on him on May 21 -- I'm guessing it might be one you've seen already.
Marisa wrote: You know, I was thinking about something else DC has in common with SM. When SM was asked to do The Thomas Crown Affair, many didn't believe he could pull that role because the was not "suave" and "sophisticated" enough, and he met with some opposition. But he proved all those people wrong. Just like Daniel!
I hadn't thought of that before but you're absolutely right. But didn't they both prove themselves splendidly? I can't imagine anyone else as Thomas Crown -- certainly not Pierce Brosnan in that pallid remake. (I never liked him as Bond either.)
What is the name of that movie he did with Natalie Wood in the early sixties? (I am bad with names) I love that movie. He looks so yummy!
"Love With The Proper Stranger"! I just rewatched that a few nights ago. It's such a great soaper, and it's eye-opening to think about how bold it was to address the subject of abortion in the early '60s.

Natalie Wood, BTW, is one of his leading ladies he had an affair with (though not til later on, I believe). His first wife Neile claims he slept with every leading lady except two. Wouldn't you love to know which two escaped his charms? I'm guessing Candice Bergen was one because I read they didn't hit it off on "The Sand Pebbles." And I think Suzanne Pleshette was the other because she's said she was like a kid sister to him and their kissing scenes in "Nevada Smith" embarrassed them both.
NOTE: I just checked TMC for you to see if they have those bios availabe for sale but didn't find them. I sent them an email, hopefully they'll respond. I'll let you know.
Great -- thank you so much! :D
Image

User avatar
Marisa
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Post by Marisa » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:52 am

Loofah wrote:I hadn't thought of that before but you're absolutely right. But didn't they both prove themselves splendidly? I can't imagine anyone else as Thomas Crown -- certainly not Pierce Brosnan in that pallid remake. (I never liked him as Bond either.)
I agree about the TTCA remake. It left me cold. I Like PB, just not as TC, like you said, that is SM's role. I didn't mind him too much as JB, but then again, I was not that much into JB before DC.
Loofah wrote:"Love With The Proper Stranger"! I just rewatched that a few nights ago. It's such a great soaper, and it's eye-opening to think about how bold it was to address the subject of abortion in the early '60s.
Very gutsy of the producers to tackle the subject. I think they handled that aspect beautifully and still managed to make it a romantic comedy. SM's performance it's so touching. Quite a departure at the time from his usual roles. They have such chemistry on screen and feed off each other wonderfully. I love Natalie Wood (Splendor in The Grass is one of my all time favorites!).
Loofah wrote:Natalie Wood, BTW, is one of his leading ladies he had an affair with (though not til later on, I believe). His first wife Neile claims he slept with every leading lady except two. Wouldn't you love to know which two escaped his charms? I'm guessing Candice Bergen was one because I read they didn't hit it off on "The Sand Pebbles." And I think Suzanne Pleshette was the other because she's said she was like a kid sister to him and their kissing scenes in "Nevada Smith" embarrassed them both.
He was such a womanizer! I can only imagine what kind of magnetism he had in person. Also, I think women were attracted to his mixture of danger and vulneravility. There was something so vulnerable about him. What are your thoughts ont that?

I, too, would love to know who the two who "escaped" were. I think your deduction about Candice and Suzanne is brilliant. You are a regular Sherlock Holmes. :wink:
~Marisa

Image

Yes, considerably

louiethedog
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:10 pm
Location: pennines, UK

Post by louiethedog » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:49 am

Loofah - My Junior Bonner print is from screen caps I downloaded
If i knew how to send them to someone I would!

Marisa - re the calendar same as someone else said, though I think I bought mine off ebay

User avatar
Marisa
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Post by Marisa » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Loofah,

The link below is to a site where you can find ALL of the documentaries on SM's life.

http://www.mcqueenonline.com/moedoc.htm
~Marisa

Image

Yes, considerably

User avatar
Loofah
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:26 am

Post by Loofah » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks for the link, Marisa! That's a really good, thorough site. :)
Marisa wrote: Quite a departure at the time from his usual roles. They have such chemistry on screen and feed off each other wonderfully. I love Natalie Wood (Splendor in The Grass is one of my all time favorites!).
I agree it was a surprising choice for him. Most of his work up to that point involved horses, guns and testosterone. :lol:

"Splendor in the Grass" is a good flick too -- another of those movies that I'll sit down and watch whenever it comes on TV, no matter how many times I've seen it.
Marisa wrote:He was such a womanizer! I can only imagine what kind of magnetism he had in person. Also, I think women were attracted to his mixture of danger and vulneravility. There was something so vulnerable about him. What are your thoughts ont that?
I think you nailed it on the head -- danger and vulnerability. On one hand he was so troubled that I think women wanted to kiss him and make it all better. On the other hand was the knowledge that he could break you in half -- and I mean that in the very most complimentary sense. :twisted:

This is a quote from "McQueen: The Untold Story of a Bad Boy in Hollywood" by Penina Spiegel (a really good biography), about why women found him so attractive:

"It was the anger underneath the control, the steam under the ice, the sense that he could blow at any minute. With Steve you had the feeling that he could walk off and survive alone and you would never see him again."
Marisa wrote:I, too, would love to know who the two who "escaped" were. I think your deduction about Candice and Suzanne is brilliant. You are a regular Sherlock Holmes. :wink:
As it turns out, I was right -- I read more of the aforementioned biography last night and this morning and it was Pleshette and Bergen who resisted him, for the reasons I suspected. Personally, I can't imagine any woman resisting Steve McQueen. Mind you, I wouldn't have wanted to be married to him but I bet he would have been dynamite for a fling. :wink:
Image

User avatar
Marisa
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Post by Marisa » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:42 am

Loofah wrote: This is a quote from "McQueen: The Untold Story of a Bad Boy in Hollywood" by Penina Spiegel (a really good biography), about why women found him so attractive:

"It was the anger underneath the control, the steam under the ice, the sense that he could blow at any minute. With Steve you had the feeling that he could walk off and survive alone and you would never see him again."
Wow! very deep. I would've loved to have been in her shoes and interview all these people that knew him. It must have been quite an experience. Guess what? I just ordered my copy of the biography by Spiegel you are recommending. Actually, I got a good deal at Borders. It's an almost-new-used copy but is hardbound and only $15.00. I can't wait to get it!
Loofah wrote: Personally, I can't imagine any woman resisting Steve McQueen. Mind you, I wouldn't have wanted to be married to him but I bet he would have been dynamite for a fling. :wink:
Oh, yeah! Totally agree with you. I know that, given the chance, I would have been one of those having a thing with him without a moment's hesitation. BTW, one of the ENCORE channels had The Magnificent Seven last night and I was laughing so hard noticing all the quirky things he does to steal the scenes from YB.

Thanks for the interesting conversation, Loofah, it's been great to be able to talk to a knowledgeable, intelligent SM fan. I'll let you know when I get the book. :D :D Any particular part you recommend? -Sorry! I don't mean to keep you going here forever but I had to ask, hope you don't mind.
~Marisa

Image

Yes, considerably

Post Reply