Othello

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Too bad this couldn't have been Mike Nichol's last. Watched an interview with him on the plane, 'Beng Mike Nichols.' Certainly no one to have pity for, but still... They showed all his playbills at the end of the show, and Betrayal was the last.
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

An excellent review from Ben Brantley of the New York Times

Review: Jealousy and Lies in a No-Exit Theater of War in ‘Othello’

A snippet from the review:

Character truly is fate in this breathless interpretation of Shakespeare’s taut portrait of lives razed by jealousy, in which Mr. Oyelowo and Mr. Craig, best known as movie stars, enter the ranks of first-rate classical stage actors. I’ve never seen an “Othelloâ€￾ as convincingly inexorable as this one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/theat ... .html?_r=0
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Thank you for posting!!! I've only now just read the all-important NYT and Variety. Can't wait to read the rest. There is a happy cast, crew, and BB in NYC tonight, and rightfully so!
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Another great review from the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/art ... 950dd46fd0
SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

This is great news!! :D
I can really visualize Daniel in this role now.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Great review..thanks for posting them Cass.
Excellent from Ben Brantley, he can be very scathing if he doesn't like something.
The only poor review I've read is from Theatermania, but it was still positive in regards to Daniel's acting.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Sylvia's girl wrote:The only poor review I've read is from Theatermania, but it was still positive in regards to Daniel's acting.

This critic just didn't get the whole Setting and I think he underestimates the audience when writing something like this
Unfortunately, by committing his production to an exclusively militaristic setting, Gold unwittingly insulates his civilian audience, allowing too many to conclude that male insecurity and the aggression it spawns are problems specific to those who serve.

But his view on Daniel saved him from being a complete moron :lol:
At least Craig makes a memorably sociopathic Iago: He reaches out to each of us in his highly personal soliloquys, nearly winning us to his cause. With an unflinchingly icy gaze, he squashes any affection we might have for him in the second act through a series of coldly executed acts of brutality.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Dunda wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:The only poor review I've read is from Theatermania, but it was still positive in regards to Daniel's acting.

This critic just didn't get the whole Setting and I think he underestimates the audience when writing something like this
Unfortunately, by committing his production to an exclusively militaristic setting, Gold unwittingly insulates his civilian audience, allowing too many to conclude that male insecurity and the aggression it spawns are problems specific to those who serve.

But his view on Daniel saved him from being a complete moron :lol:
At least Craig makes a memorably sociopathic Iago: He reaches out to each of us in his highly personal soliloquys, nearly winning us to his cause. With an unflinchingly icy gaze, he squashes any affection we might have for him in the second act through a series of coldly executed acts of brutality.

Yes, at least he got something right :lol:
FrenchCat

Post by FrenchCat »

Maybe he will come back in Bond as a vilain ! :lol:
ImageImageImage
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

FrenchCat wrote:Maybe he will come back in Bond as a vilain ! :lol:
He'd make a great villain too! :lol:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I am happy, that sounds great. And Dan Bradley made up for some of his lesser reviews :wink:

Thanks Cass for posting. First thing in the morning when I looked, they were there :D
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

With over 60 Broadway credits, fight director Thomas Schall chats about staging Daniel Craig and David Oyelowo in Off-Broadway’s Othello.

What was one of your highlights from working on this production?

TS: I had this fear of walking into the room and seeing Daniel Craig/James Bond sitting with two bodyguards and I was supposed to say: â€￾This is how you fight,â€￾ and be laughed out of the room. It was a great relief to find that he is a wonderfully welcoming, lovely, pleasant, funny, down-to-earth guy. In rehearsal he’s just another actor in the room; he’s very mischievous with a wicked sense of humor.

http://www.playbill.com/article/what-it ... w-to-fight
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com