NTTD: Out October 2021

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

Read all of the comments and agree with most..... this is feeling better with the BBC announcement. :) I just don't want him to 'go anywhere'. This is what I fear the most. Work has been suffering today (as I can't stop thinking / worrying about it) so I had to find a cyber café in my lunch break to 'put myself out of my misery'. Now, even with the BBC announcement, this may not work 100%. Until Eon say YES or NO definitely and officially, 'rumours and hearsay' are going to keep coming... which can 'put the frighteners' on all of us. :shock: :?

I hope that Daniel can consider this a massive compliment, that he is so much loved as Bond and many want him to keep playing the role.
bubita

Post by bubita »

Almost have a heart attack when I read the news, I guess I´m not ready to letting go as Bond yet, I wish for one more.
As for the BBC I trust them more than DM so I feel better now.
Madeleine

Post by Madeleine »

Well I'm glad I haven't been online earlier today to see this particular shitstorm. :roll: I wish media and people would shut up about it, the announcement comes when it comes and that's it. I'd rather skip all the drama that's being stirred around this thing.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Papers need eyeballs for their ads, they can publish all kinds of crap content to bring those eyeballs in. Clearly they are going to continue to play the "who's the next Bond" card as along as they can eek it out, and as long as we all click on the links.

In a peculiar way. We're feeding this kind of speculation.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I just wish, they would end it - one way or the other.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Germangirl wrote:I just wish, they would end it - one way or the other.
Curious to see how any announcement does evolve. Would they announce that he's stepped down, if he does, at the same time as they announce a new Bond. I can't recall how it was with Brosnan?
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Me neither. No idea.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

CheekyNandos

Post by CheekyNandos »

Pretty sure there were rumours then Brosnan announced on a TV talk show. But it was over ten years ago now so I might be wrong.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Here we go. Scary that the Mail got it right from the get go. Although, of course, we know he was pushed. A different scenario than we seem to have with DC.

http://www.universalexports.net/Movies/ ... snan.shtml

Back For a 005th Time...Or Is He:

Despite mixed reviews, after Die Another Day was a boxoffice hit it was assumed that Pierce Brosnan would return as James Bond in the next film. However, on February 9, 2004, a mere 15 months after Die Another Day's release, The Daily Mail published an article stating that Pierce Brosnan had been deemed "too old for 007," It seemed that the producers wanted to take Bond back to his roots and needed a younger agent in the tux.
In the months that followed, no official statement was made but Pierce Brosnan was frequently quoted as uncertain and 'opaque' as to his future as James Bond. Finally, on October 14, 2004, more than eight months after the media circus began, Brosnan finally admitted, "It's over. It's absolutely over."

How it Went Down...In Brosnan's Words:
The "It's over. It's absolutely over" declaration came while speaking with the press in Nassau, Bahamas, and continued later that day in an interview Brosnan gave to Sun Media. The saga, he stated, began with a phone call after Die Another Day, when Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson said "We're so happy with the success, we want you to come back!" With that, Brosnan continued thinking that he would once again don the tux and Walther PPK.

Pierce Brosnan, the 5th James Bond, 007 It was during the filming of After the Sunset where Brosnan states that his agents called him and said that Broccoli and Wilson had changed their minds. "It's very hard to find the truth in that town (Hollywood) or in this business at times," Brosnan said. "But it was their prerogative to change their minds. They can do it! And they might have done it 'to go younger.'" He went on to say, "It was disappointing. It was surprising. And I accepted the knowledge after 24 hours of being in shock."

Even after the Sun Media interview, it would be another four months before Pierce Brosnan said anything official. On February 1, 2005. Brosnan posted a letter to his Web site addressed to all his fans that detailed his future 007-free plans. Through this letter he gracefully let everyone know what had pretty much been assumed for the better part of the last year: that his tenure as James Bond was over.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Well, one thing for sure, Daniel won't write a letter :lol:

He is probably in some super market or on his ridge, when the press woohoo is happening.

One thing for sure, you cannot believe anything in the median until confirmed. Right now, again, we have nothing of value.

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

I just had to switch the TV off. :evil:
I was flicking channels and the Channel 5 news is actually running this as a cover story AFTER the Egypt plane crash. :shock: Nothing on BBC TV news though.... not even on the Entertainment page.

I don't know if I'm right but TV seems to follow whatever the internet is saying. Daniel himself talks about influence of the internet (particularly in relation to the horrible internet backlash after he was cast in CR). I remember he compares the internet to the drug crack in an interview with Favs for C&A. I think it is hugely ironic. Back in 2006, a large number of people were decrying him as Bond. NOW, it is a case of DON'T STOP MAKING BOND MOVIES PUH-LEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Daniel, if he is even aware of what the internet is saying could be having a good old laugh about it. As I said before, I hope he can get the gist of people's excitement and happiness when he plays Bond and considers it a compliment that most want him to stay. (I haven't visited MI6 though... the actual Bond fans are a far more hardened bunch than us lot aren't they?) I don't suppose OUR passion for him in the role will sway him at all. I imagine he is pretty stubborn. But I cannot believe Eon / Broccoli / Wilson will just shrug and say 'Oh well, Daniel isn't biting... let's go and see who else wants to be Bond...' (assuming the story is true...) They are going to fight to keep him MUCH HARDER than that.

I have been surveying a couple of friends at work to see what they thought. My friend A who saw Spectre for the first time last week thinks he is leaving the role. It was the ending, the drive-off-into-the-sunset with Madeleine... it was the fact that he threw away the gun... it was the fact that he didn't shoot Blofeld. Not shooting Blofeld would signify to me that there WOULD be a chance for him to return. :dunno: This is true 'clutching-at-straws' mentality.

I can be relaxed about this if I knew Daniel was being smart and strong in his decisions and not letting 'outside influences' effect his choices. I could also be relaxed if I KNEW HE HAD SOMETHING ELSE IN THE PIPELINE that he was definitely committed to. It smacks of an irresponsibility on Eon's behalf to be keeping schtum on the subject the whole time, allowing the rumour mill to churn on and on and on. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST TELL US ALREADY?? Is it a financial decision to stay quiet, pure and simple?? The fact that they are not saying anything makes ME think the BBC are right. No decision is made, still in negotiation blah blah blah.... Don't they know fans are FREAKING OUT?? They probably know and are just loving the publicity even this brings. In the entertainment industry, there is no such thing as BAD publicity.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

I don't know how these things work, but it has to be a risk for another studio to take it on without some certainty about who the hell is wearing Bond's shoes.
CheekyNandos

Post by CheekyNandos »

It depends on how you view it. The uncertainty of the leading man could be something that puts them off and something they may want sorted beforehand. You have to bear in mind that Sony were piling money into Bond for very little return... On Skyfall and Spectre they returned a pittance compared to what MGM and EON were making. We are just grasping at straws and in reality have no idea what the conditions are and the demands on both sides (potential distributor and EON).

As for the ending of Spectre, I think if the script remained as it was before the rewrites then I would have said bye to Daniel. The endings where he killed off Blofeld were far more definitive... But it would also make no monetary sense. They spent ages trying to get the rights to Spectre and Blofeld only to kill him off as they introduce him. The throwing away of the gun, the leaving service, etc, smacks to me as a throwback to the books and a nod at what Bond wanted with Vesper. As we know, Bond's happiness is never guaranteed. It was also written in such a way did Daniel want to come back then he could... Like The Dark Knight and Christian Bale.

The fans over at MI6 are indeed way more hardcore and mostly moronic alpha males who don't have a fucking clue. Sorry to drop the bomb on that one, but it's true, and they spout drivel on a daily basis. It's up the shoot. I only visit because they're up with the latest news.

My disappointment is centred around the fact that they have a perfect way to loop back the incumbent Bond into an OHMSS/YOLT situation. The hints were dropped, the trailer contained the OHMSS music, the original write of the script had Bond telling Madeleine "they have all the time in the world." "The driving off into the sunset" in OHMSS ends up with them being happy for all of five seconds before Blofeld shoots his wife dead. YOLT then spirals into this whole depressed, vengeful Bond. While it's true that some of these aspects have been covered in both QoS and SF it's not to the same level or degree. The finale of YOLT has Bond choking the life out of Blofeld in cold blood. A dirty, personal kill with his own bare hands... Something he would never have done if M. didn't fabricate the "promotion" from 007 to 7777 because he was fearful of having to sack him because he started messing up all his missions due to depression.

We had this situation before where weirdly Connery did YOLT before OHMSS. Then Lazenby did OHMSS. If Spectre is "OHMSS" and Bond 25 is a proper YOLT and not what we got back then then that's where my disappointment lies. A lack of continuity between the storyline main actors where it is really quite jarring. Bond fans were robbed of this once and they don't want to see it again and I believe that's where quite a lot of the consternation comes from right now... Because many see the ending as leaving the door wide open for this return.

On the flip side, we can't be selfish. Dan the man has his own life, his own aspirations, the desire to be with his family and clearly knows what he wants to do with a passionate drive for it, whatever that might be even if we don't like it. We as fans can only speculate and we have to be patient whether we like it or not. We are not his top, top, top priority and worse he may be in a position where he can't say a damn thing even if he wanted to. He will be back, even if it's in something else, but it will be on his terms. As a very wise man once said to me, when a boss says "you should do as I say because you work for me." the only honest reply is to say "I work for me because I need to provide for myself." Brave man who says it, but who is to stop you from thinking it?

As for the BBC, I trust them more than the DM, but to play devil's advocate, how much we do know if any of this is true at all? Who is *their* source? How is it more reliable than DM's? You could say that equally both are true, just that the DMs was written by a five year old masquerading as a journalist. That being said, the BBC *GENERALLY* won't run with something unless they are fairly certain of it so the fact they checked the report out first says something. That doesn't mean they're never wrong. They've been wrong. Plenty of times. Still, both articles irrespective of everything lead us back to square one and what we knew when Spectre came out: We don't fricking know.

Wow, this post turned into a bit of an essay. There's a lot to take in here, but this is my two penneth worth now that I've recovered from the drinking session last night!
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Cheeky - thanks for sharing your OHMSS/YOLT insight. I had no idea. I like that this idea adds legs to another round for DC.

BTW, love this post. Shits on all today's news from a great height, and Hiddleston (who curiously looks like Katy Perry), to boot! http://www.thesuperficial.com/daniel-cr ... wn-05-2016

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Yeah, what a ****