Betrayal - Bye, Bye...

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

agrippina

Post by agrippina »

Well, finally here... I was in NYC in mid-November and came back Tuesday last week. Did not really have internet access very much during the trip, so a report only now, two weeks later.

So this was my first live Daniel and I managed to catch the play on Friday Nov 15 with Joe Biden and his wife among other people. Hung out at the stage door on that evening and the next day after the matinee and in the evening with Dunda, Elaine and Firstsupergirl :lol: 8)

I can't remember when I have been as nervous as I was before the play, but the experience was a bit weird - I guess you are able to watch a live play a bit like a movie, as if it did not really take place there in front of your eyes live. I kept thinking he looked kind of small (yes, really), was caught in the play and did not think very much until afterwards.

The Biden motorcade and clearing of the street kind of pushed me a bit too far from the stage door and I managed only third row or so from the railing. But this was kind of the defining moment - it was so clearly Daniel himself as opposed to Robert. The charisma was there even for that 45 seconds it took him to sign a few Playbills on both sides and vanish into the waiting car... He was wearing the black short woolen jacket, head bare with the lovely (!) long hair well visible.

I got goosebumbs still minutes afterwards and my legs could barely carry be back to subway stop two blocks away. I was almost unable to sleep that night taking a long walk around Lower East Side before getting back to my hotel... And I still thought he looked kind of smaller than 5'10 :roll: (Photos will be posted in a moment in the photo thread.)

The next day, after the matinee, I managed to position myself along the railing - he did not leave and they made into a kind of square and afterwards he went back into the theatre. The guy next to me asked something about Bond and I wanted to hit him. Daniel was wearing a tight black sweater and jeans and a woolly hat and I just wish I got that shape better photograped - truly magnificient! Standing excatly at the same level as him also showed that he is not that short after all... Got a signature on my Playbill.

The Saturday evening was kind of special as Dunda and Firstsupergirl had just arrived to NYC and despited their travel weariness managed to come downtown with Elaine and meet me! It was supercool to have my main peer group there to discuss the event and get support :lol: We managed to get to the stage door with good positions along the railings. This time he did not sign at all, but posed for both sides. Only afterwards I realised that he was wearing a very familiar black cardigan under the black jacket <3 No hat and glorious flowing long hair!

Throughly enjoyable events, once in a lifetime chances! Very happy that I could do all that!
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Agripinna, thanks for this and for your review. I am pleased that you had a good time.
Alina

Post by Alina »

agrippina - thanks for your report and great pictures - you are one lucky girl. I'm very happy for those who had the opportunity to see the play and Daniel "live" and it's a good thing, as they can share their impressions with us, so those who are not so lucky, can at least "feel" the atmosphere :)
Thanks again.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Alina wrote:agrippina - thanks for your report and great pictures - you are one lucky girl. I'm very happy for those who had the opportunity to see the play and Daniel "live" and it's a good thing, as they can share their impressions with us, so those who are not so lucky, can at least "feel" the atmosphere :)
Thanks again.
That goes for me too. :D
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Grip, very happy you made it and enjoyed the experience. Also great you could meet up. Just Anglo and me missing to complete the old crew.But that belongs in the memory box and you just made great new memories for yourself :D
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Rebecca Wright &#8207;@rebecca_wrights 10m

So excited to see my first broadway play with @pariser — Betrayal, ft Daniel Craig & Rachel Weisz! pic.twitter.com/J04CwtSw2I
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Grip, I LOVED your report and you captured the experience so well. When Robert is on stage, it's Robert. Yeah, Daniel is playing him, but there really is no glimpse at Daniel, really. At the curtain call, and for me, the time I could see him still on top of Rachel, making out with her when the scene was over and they were in the dark off stage. Had that been Rafe doing that, I would have slugged him if I were Daniel. It's when he comes outside afterward is when it's Daniel. The voice, the smile, the charm. The videos capture his allure. Thanks do much for uploading the pics. They are great!
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
Alina wrote:agrippina - thanks for your report and great pictures - you are one lucky girl. I'm very happy for those who had the opportunity to see the play and Daniel "live" and it's a good thing, as they can share their impressions with us, so those who are not so lucky, can at least "feel" the atmosphere :)
Thanks again.
That goes for me too. :D
And me!
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Esther &#8207;@GratuitousV 6m
Nice to see a ruggedly handsome & sexy Daniel Craig in Betrayal. Loved the longish hair!
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

cassandra wrote:Esther &#8207;@GratuitousV 6m
Nice to see a ruggedly handsome & sexy Daniel Craig in Betrayal. Loved the longish hair!
My sentiments exactly!! :lol: :lol:
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

cassandra wrote:Esther &#8207;@GratuitousV 6m
More from her...

Esther &#8207;@GratuitousV 11h
Enjoyed Betrayal but I saw the movie years ago & don't remember it being played for laughs. Could have used more passion, tension.

Laura E. Reineke &#8207;@ohonestly 11h
@GratuitousV Tons of laughs when I saw it too. Couldn't tell if audience was misinterpreting or if cast was pushing the material that way

@ohonestly I know what you mean. I remember the movie being very tense & serious. Have to think it was the cast (1/2)

Esther &#8207;@GratuitousV 11h
@ohonestly Seems like lots of serious plays are playing up the comedy. Maybe audiences come to laugh & find humor? (2/2)
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

‘Betrayal’ cast faces tech problems

Technical problems plagued Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz’s Broadway revival of Harold Pinter’s “Betrayal,” forcing the cast to bravely battle on without mechanized set changes.
We’re told Saturday night’s performance of the lust-filled story of a love triangle, directed by Mike Nichols, hit technical troubles in Scene 2 at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, when one audience member told Page Six, “A black screen came down. After 15 minutes, Craig and the rest of the cast came out, and said they were having problems with the stage, but they were going to ‘give it a shot,’ and continue with the performance. They started to applause, but between each scene, the curtain came down, and the set was manually changed, which took a lot of time. By 9:30 p.m., they had only got through a few more scenes, and — while the actors made a valiant attempt to continue — some in the audience became restless and left.”
The play’s plot, which delves further and further into the past, requires numerous set changes, which were rigged to glide on and off the stage seamlessly. A “Betrayal” rep confirmed, “The show’s automation failed after Scene 2, into Scene 3, necessitating manual set changes for the rest of the performance. Of the 1,100 people in the sold-out audience, there were less than 10 requests for refunds or exchanges. There was a 15-minute pause following the breakdown during which the cast made the decision to continue the performance. They continued on brilliantly, and each scene change received a round of applause. They finished at 10:26 p.m., about 40 minutes later than usual. After an immediate standing ovation, Daniel Craig thanked the audience for their patience and the show’s crew for their efforts to ensure the show would go on.”

http://pagesix.com/2013/12/02/technical ... -betrayal/
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

NationalYouthTheatre &#8207;@NYTofGB 3m
Today's your last chance to bid to meet & see Daniel Craig, Rafe Spall, Ian McKellen and Joanna Christie on Broadway http://bit.ly/1j1OhaQ
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

Sylvia's girl wrote:‘Betrayal’ cast faces tech problems

Technical problems plagued Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz’s Broadway revival of Harold Pinter’s “Betrayal,” forcing the cast to bravely battle on without mechanized set changes.
We’re told Saturday night’s performance of the lust-filled story of a love triangle, directed by Mike Nichols, hit technical troubles in Scene 2 at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, when one audience member told Page Six, “A black screen came down. After 15 minutes, Craig and the rest of the cast came out, and said they were having problems with the stage, but they were going to ‘give it a shot,’ and continue with the performance. They started to applause, but between each scene, the curtain came down, and the set was manually changed, which took a lot of time. By 9:30 p.m., they had only got through a few more scenes, and — while the actors made a valiant attempt to continue — some in the audience became restless and left.”
The play’s plot, which delves further and further into the past, requires numerous set changes, which were rigged to glide on and off the stage seamlessly. A “Betrayal” rep confirmed, “The show’s automation failed after Scene 2, into Scene 3, necessitating manual set changes for the rest of the performance. Of the 1,100 people in the sold-out audience, there were less than 10 requests for refunds or exchanges. There was a 15-minute pause following the breakdown during which the cast made the decision to continue the performance. They continued on brilliantly, and each scene change received a round of applause. They finished at 10:26 p.m., about 40 minutes later than usual. After an immediate standing ovation, Daniel Craig thanked the audience for their patience and the show’s crew for their efforts to ensure the show would go on.”

http://pagesix.com/2013/12/02/technical ... -betrayal/
I really can't understand why people would be so impatient that they would walk out of the performance. A 40 minute delay is not that bad. Wild horses couldn't have dragged me out of there (especially given the price of the tickets). Some people must be spoiled brats.
Those who stayed had their reward - even if their enjoyment of the play was marred a little, they got to see Daniel being himself when he thanked everyone.
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Broadway Box Office: Gobbling Up Record Thanksgiving Sales

Also posting B.O. records at their respective venues were ”Matilda” ($1,657,599), ”Motown” ($1,522,003), Daniel Craig starrer “Betrayal” ($1,289,324) and “Twelfth Night/Richard III” ($826,487). The latter is particularly notable, given that the Shakespeare double-bill managed to break the record at the Belasco even though producers, in an effort to broaden accessibility, sell a whopping 2,000 seats per week (that’s 250 per perf in a 1,050-seat house) at just $25.

http://variety.com/2013/legit/news/broa ... 200910446/