Skyfall Awards

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Vanquish

Post by Vanquish »

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine

Empire Awards 2013 start at 4.30pm today.
I don;t know if Daniel will be there or not but Bond has a really good track record at these awards. I'd expect Babs, Wilson and Mendes to definitely turn up.
Tuulia

Post by Tuulia »

^^ Oh, thanks, I wouldn't have remembered. And red carpet live streaming, too. Oh goodie! 8)
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks Vanquish.I am sure,he won't be there, but will have a look nevertheless.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Wins for: Best Film and Best Director. I think, that's it. Happy for Sam, who also got a special Award as inspiration something.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Daniel lost out to Martin Freeman in the best actor category at the Jameson Empire Awards, but Skyfall won the best film award and Sam Mendes the award for best director.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Martin Freeman!!!! :crap
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

bumblebee wrote:Martin Freeman!!!! :crap
Actually I have rather him win then any of the other, more known nominees. Like thiy, they ALL lost out to the least known.

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

NUTS!! :roll: :evil: WHY can't Daniel get more plaudits / acknowledgement for his talent and hard work as an actor???? :? I know he got that Britannia Award but it's not enough. Would an awards ceremony automatically 'rule out' an actor from winning if they knew they wouldn't be in attendance?? If so, that's rubbish and unfair although I can't think of any other reason why he would be ignored... the fact that he doesn't want to play the 'Hollywood Game' shouldn't even come into it!! :shock: :roll:
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

Or is it just that Bond is seen as too populist and not serious art? He makes playing Bond look easy, that's the trouble - he's too damned good at what he does, people forget he's acting! :evil:
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

HLAJ wrote:Or is it just that Bond is seen as too populist and not serious art? He makes playing Bond look easy, that's the trouble - he's too damned good at what he does, people forget he's acting! :evil:
I think you are spot on here. My husband says "he's not that good an actor" and it gets me so mad.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

bumblebee wrote:
HLAJ wrote:Or is it just that Bond is seen as too populist and not serious art? He makes playing Bond look easy, that's the trouble - he's too damned good at what he does, people forget he's acting! :evil:
I think you are spot on here. My husband says "he's not that good an actor" and it gets me so mad.
YES!!! I often thought that. It always looks so naural.

Tuulia

Post by Tuulia »

The populist bit doesn't apply to these particular awards, I suppose, since they were voted by the public and Hobbit is surely "populist" too. :wink: In general, though, I believe you're right. He (or anyone) is unlikely to get awards for portraying Bond, no matter how well.

Also, I've actually noticed some people comment on his acting as Bond in a way that implies they really don't get it. Most people haven't seen much of his work apart from Bond and besides, there's this stupid image of him as basically dark and brooding and serious, and that sorta fits the Bond he plays and so people think he's basically just himself as Bond. :roll:

Examples regarding comments about Silva's "seduction" of Bond scene: I got pretty pissed off with a couple people who wrote a review where they said they felt Daniel was quite surprised with some of the stuff Javier was doing, yadda yadda. I wrote a comment saying of course he bloody well knew how the scene would go, Bond didn't know what to expect, but Daniel did, do you really think they would need to actually surprise him to get a required reaction, and he's a damned fine actor, give him some respect, will ya. And they were all, oh well, it's just how we saw it, blah blah, and I said he was ACTING, geez. Later I saw this interview, I'm sure it's here somewhere, where the woman who is interviewing him makes pretty much the same comment those reviewers did, and Daniel replies that it's called acting and of course they rehearsed it etc. - I'm sure someone knows exactly which interview I'm talking about and knows where to find it - please post. :P

So, since people seem to confuse his Bond with his public image and because his acting is so subtle people assume he isn't acting - therefore can't act. :roll: :evil:
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

Well said, Tuulia. You put it so much better than I did!
I can't help thinking it's a shame in a way that he's said he won't do a romantic comedy. He's so flipping good at it (I'm thinking Catherine Tate, and weren't there some wonderfully comic moments in SV?). It might help to change his image from the dour action man and reflect some of his versatility as an actor if audiences saw him differently.
But he's a big boy, quite capable of making his own choices. If that isn't a road he wants to go down, so be it.
It's a credit to his acting ability that people actually think he didn't know what was coming in that scene with Silva. Although, some people are just plain thick. Personally, I was wishing it was my hands on those thighs... :oops:
Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

congrats to SF!!!!

I like Martin a lot but best actor.....
anyway Im happy 4 him
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

This is my dream. I doubt he will, but this theater stuff is nice and all but for your average fan, not something we'll get to see. I'd also love to see more of him as the less likeable character - Ted, The Mother, Flashbacks. His film choices have not been good recently and as ok as Tattoo was, I don't think he needs another franchise hanging around his neck either.
HLAJ wrote: I can't help thinking it's a shame in a way that he's said he won't do a romantic comedy. He's so flipping good at it (I'm thinking Catherine Tate, and weren't there some wonderfully comic moments in SV?). It might help to change his image from the dour action man and reflect some of his versatility as an actor if audiences saw him differently.