Dream House - news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Sylvia's girl wrote:Weekend Box Office
September 30, 2011 - October 2, 2011

TW LW Title Studio Weekend Theaters Total Week

1 3 Dolphin Tale 3D Warner Bros. Pictures $14,245,000 3,515 $37,516,400 2
2 2 Moneyball Columbia Pictures (Sony) $12,500,000 2,993 $38,468,500 2
3 1 The Lion King 3D Walt Disney Pictures $11,057,000 2,340 $79,651,150 3
4 - 50/50 Summit Entertainment $8,848,000 2,458 $8,848,000 1
5 - Courageous TriStar Pictures (Sony) $8,800,000 1,161 $8,800,000 1
6 - Dream House Universal Pictures $8,209,185 2,661 $8,209,185 1
7 4 Abduction Lionsgate $5,650,000 3,118 $19,139,200 2
8 - What's Your Number? 20th Century Fox $5,600,000 3,002 $5,600,000 1
9 6 Contagion Warner Bros. Pictures $5,040,000 2,744 $64,702,500 4
10 5 Killer Elite Open Road Films $4,855,000 2,986 $17,439,500 2
11 7 Drive FilmDistrict $3,337,484 1,974 $27,050,800 3
12 8 The Help Walt Disney Pictures $3,006,000 2,505 $159,363,030 8

Read more: ComingSoon.net - Box Office Report http://www.comingsoon.net/boxoffice/det ... z1ZdyMZerF
4,5 and 6 are very closely together and the weekend isn't over yet. Not that I expect any wonders, though, just saying. All of them have all sunday afternoon and eve for takings left and it could go any direction, but maybe it will go up....
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

Sylvia's girl wrote:Box Office: 'Dolphin Tale,' two other holdovers beat four new films

Dream House" stars Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz as a couple who move into a haunted home. The film, distributed by Universal Pictures, was not inexpensive: It was financed by Morgan Creek Production for about $50 million.

Though the movie features respected actors and was directed by six-time Oscar nominee Jim Sheridan, the picture was not screened for critics before its release. That's a sign that a studio is nervous about how a movie will be received -- rightly so in this case. As of Sunday morning, the film had earned the worst reviews of any of the weekend's new debuts with a dismal 5% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Audiences didn't hate it as much as critics, though, assigning the film an average grade of B.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/enterta ... yball.html
Wow, considering the bad critics a B from the audience is very good. :shock:
Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

Curious story about a Dream House screening

Tried to see this yesterday - found a dead guy in the theater instead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462041/boa ... /189181438

:shock:
tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

Maybelline wrote:Curious story about a Dream House screening

Tried to see this yesterday - found a dead guy in the theater instead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462041/boa ... /189181438

:shock:
OMG, you are F ing kidding me, that is crazy. Poor man, I wonder how old he was? where was it?
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

If what I read about Morgan Creek messing up the movie is true, that's really sad. Reminds me of what happened to Invasion. :( I'm still going to see it though when it comes out.
At least I've read a review praising Daniel for his performance, so that's a bit of solace.
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Dream House is all but dreaming

Dream House" is the latest thriller to be released from Universal Studios, directed by Jim Sheridan. This movie centers around Will Atenton (Daniel Craig), a publisher who moves into a new home with his wife Libby (Rachel Weisz) and his two daughters.

They all seem happy enough in their new home. However, as time goes on, things begin to become strange. He and his daughters begin to notice a strange man watching them. As he begins to see more signs of a man stalking them, he learns of the violent history of the house. The more he learned, the deeper the secret becomes.

Another Hollywood thriller put in front of American audiences and it doesn't live up to its genre at all. "Dream House" seemed to drag more than anything else. The movie lagged when it came to the overall plot. Even the parts that were suppose to seem intense felt anticlimactic, building for a big finish then dropping the feeling way too soon, thus taking away from the suspense.

The script, written by David Loucka, didn't even feel like an actual storyline. The first half felt more like filler, all building up to an unusual plot twist. This was something of a gamble because of what it ultimately accomplished. It completely changed the narrative of the entire film, switching gears from psycho thriller to a tale of revenge. This was probably what was best about the story over all.

What made the twist so brilliant was that the audience doesn't see it coming. It's so obvious yet so subtle. Still, a clever plot device wasn't enough to save the bad writing.

The acting was decent at least. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It helped that the cast was led by some pretty heavy hitters. Craig and Weisz in particular were fascinating to watch. Not only was there great chemistry between them, but it was very easy to believe that they were a married couple. The audience could feel their tensions, their concerns. The connection was perfect.

Their individual performances were something to admire. Weisz, in particular, stood out from the cast. She was committed, coming off as vulnerable but for a whole different reason. It was almost as if she was hiding a secret. Despite this, the acting could not save the film from the bad storytelling.

The final verdict. "Dream House" fails to deliver the shock and thrills that it had advertised. It is best to save this film for a late night rental from your local Red Box.

source: http://www.fchornet.com/dream-house-is- ... -1.2624626

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
caramel

Post by caramel »

Dream House is a Complex and Well-Acted Mystery

Dream House is compelling and interesting because of its acting. There are plenty of twists in the story, but do yourself a favor and don’t watch the trailer before you see this one.

Will Atenton (Daniel Craig) has just quit his high-paying job in New York City to spend more time with his wife, Libby (Rachel Weisz), and two children. They’ve recently bought a new house in a suburban neighborhood that’s everything they ever wanted. However, something doesn’t seem right. The children keep seeing and hearing things outside the house. Their neighbors, the Pattersons (Naomi Watts and Marton Csokas) seem standoffish and quiet. Will even stumbles across a band of gothy, punky teenagers vandalizing and crashing in his basement who claim something happened in the house he doesn’t know about. As Will tries to uncover the house’s dark past, he finds the police uncooperative and ignoring his pleas for help. Will he ever discover the truth? And will he be ready to handle it when he does?

Before actually reviewing Dream House (not to be confused with Dream Home, the Hong Kong slasher-drama), we have to address the elephant in the room. The primary buzz before the movie’s release was that there was a GIGANTIC spoiler in the trailer. This is true, but, there are far more twists and turns to the movie than that one revealed plot point and that one hits surprisingly early. Watching the trailer beforehand won’t destroy the film, but it will remove the surprise of one element of the movie’s plot. Watch the trailer at your own risk. This writing is purposely spoiler-free.

Dream House is painted as a supernatural horror movie, but it very much is not. This is more of a supernatural mystery-drama, and while effectively creepy this film is not “scary”. The best assets are the twist-laden story and how well Daniel Craig’s character adjusts to them. The plot is a little derivative of other haunted house/place movies but works on its own because of how effectively the twists are handled. Since many of them also directly affect Daniel Craig’s character, his performance makes or breaks the film, and while he starts out a bit phony, he grows into the character and plays well off the rest of the cast. As the story begins to change, his perspective does with it. He adapts well and creates a character very easy to root for.

Unfortunately, Dream House takes too long to get going feels very slow and dull early on. In some ways the early twist given away in the trailer is responsible for this. That twist is such a shift that it kind of diminishes the impact of everything that had happened to that point and feels like a reset button was pushed. Once we get to the film’s climax it is satisfying, but the coda afterwards feels very tacked on and unnecessary. Overall, Dream House would have benefited by some more time spent in the writing phase as it needed a bit of work to bring everything together into one whole.

Dream House, while generally entertaining, feels a bit like a missed opportunity. The choice by Morgan Creek to spoil a plot twist in the trailer and advertise the movie as a completely different style of film than it actually is absolutely prejudices any opinion. Looking beyond that we have a film with a decent concept and a good lead performance by Daniel Craig that works in its own way in spite of storytelling lapses. Going into Dream House as blind as possible is probably wisest, though some prior knowledge probably won’t kill the total experience.

2 1/2 Freakheads, out of 5

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/dream-house.html
SilverDragon

Post by SilverDragon »

For those that cant wait to watch it, it's already online 8)
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

LMcAree91 wrote:For those that cant wait to watch it, it's already online 8)
Link?
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

SilverDragon

Post by SilverDragon »

Germangirl wrote:
Link?
http://www.1channel.ch/watch-2377997-Dream-House

Just click on any of the links and your good to go, quality is bad but it's better than nothing :D
calypso

Post by calypso »

LMcAree91 wrote:
Germangirl wrote:
Link?

Just click on any of the links and your good to go, quality is bad but it's better than nothing :D
gracias i willl try to watch but they keep stopping and starting, i not able to go see it today.
ImageImage
SilverDragon

Post by SilverDragon »

calypso wrote:
LMcAree91 wrote:
Germangirl wrote: Link?

gracias i willl try to watch but they keep stopping and starting, i not able to go see it today.
Ya the internet in my flat is really slow, I only managed to watch 40mins of it, I'll wait till I go home on Friday :wink:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

LMcAree91 wrote:
calypso wrote:
LMcAree91 wrote: http://www.1channel.ch/watch-2377997-Dream-House

Ya the internet in my flat is really slow, I only managed to watch 40mins of it, I'll wait till I go home on Friday :wink:
Thanks Laura :D. I watched about 20 minutes, but the quality is really not that good. Will wait :wink:;

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I'm not saying that I think D&R are happy Morgan Creek messed things up with Sheridan, but the ole saying 'every cloud has a silver lining' applies to this one. The two of them never had to walk a red carpet or do any promo for the movie. We know the interviewers would have been prepped to not ask questions regarding their personal relationship, but still....they escaped having to deal with any of it :wink:.
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Current box office total......at 6 days of release

US Domestic: $9,167,145